AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i think i'm doing something wrong here...

since 1) my RP91 has DVD-A capabilities, and 2) my harman kardon avr75 receiver has 6 channel inputs, i decided to buy a dvd-audio disc and give it a whirl (fleetwood mac's "rumours").

when i started playing the disc, sounds burst out from all the speakers and i couldn't adjust the volume. with this setup, am i going to need a preamp?

i changed the setup to having the dvd plater sending analog audio from the normal l/r rca outs to one of the receiver's sets of rca inputs and played the disc again. The sound was REALLY good, warm, and noticeably better than the regular "rumours" cd.

question is - are these DVD-a's made for 5.1 surround sound or analog 2-channel stereo? am i getting any added benefit when compared to a regular cd when i'm playing it through 2-channel rca outputs?

sorry if this is a dumb question

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Another Fleetwood Mac fan besides me I have their greatest hits on CD and the DVD disc The Dance. Good luck with your audio problem. :)

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
DVD-A is designed with 5.1 reproduction in mind. I don't know a thing about HK recievers but it's hard to imagine that it was designed for use only with an outboard pre. I'd re-read the manual's section on the 5.1 input. Good luck!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Well I found no reference to the avr 75 on HK's web site. Doing some google searches, I found several reviews of this model which say there is no 6 channel input for DVD-A. One site said the model year was 1999, which was before DVD-A's time, so I would believe that it would not have them.

Many HK receivers have a 5.1 channel direct-amp-in. My guess is this is what you have hooked up. This would directly to the amp, not through the volume control.

As for the stereo vs. 5.1 question, many discs contain both a surround mix and a stereo mix.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, the stereo mix on the Rumours DVD-A blows me away, but i f i knew there were a lot more titles i was interested in i'd upgrade my receiver.

i guess my new question is - am i getting any added benefit from DVD-A with my Panasonic RP91 and a receiver that can only "hear" the stereo mixes of DVD-A discs? I mean, if i were to play this disc in a dvd player that wasn't DVD-A equipped, would the analog stereo mix be as good as i'm currently hearing?

·
Registered
413 Posts
oleus,

It depends on the disc. Although the DVD-Video spec supports 96kHz/24-bit stereo, most DVD-A discs to date put them on the DVD-Audio zone of the disc, mandating a DVD-A player. Also some discs have stereo at 192kHz/24-bit stereo, which does require a DVD-A player.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Though it's not of the same quality, but if you want to hear the disc in 6 - channel surround, you could choose the Dolby Digital 5.1 track or if it has DTS, choose that. My DVD-A Player (Toshiba SD-4700) defaults to DVD Audio, so if I want to listen to DD 5.1 or DTS, I have to change the default to DVD Video.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.