Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are all dvd roms progressive?

Do I need to run htpc software when watching dvd rom movies on my crt pj?

Is a video capture card only for non dvd rom use such as

vhs, sat, ?

Do I need to run htpc or software to watch hdtv signal from say sat receiver?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Brodi,

Are all dvd roms progressive? YES.... The most common display rate for a computer monitor is 480p (progressive). That's not really HD but more like enhanced definition. But computers are capable of displaying 720p (progressive) or even 1080i (interlaced), as well as higher rates.

Do I need to run htpc software when watching dvd rom movies on my crt pj? YES, but.... There are a couple different types of players out there for HTPC. Depending on your computer, you can either use a hardware or software player. With a slower computer, you would use a hardware computer. The opposite applies with a fast system. You would use a software based player. The difference is the hardware player takes the "playback load" off of your processor. With a beefy processor you can let the software player use your processor to run. Most of the users in this forum use the software versions (PowerDVD, WinDVD, etc....). There are several to choose from, and there are pros and cons for each, but the main vote here is a software player will give better results than a hardware one.

Is a video capture card only for non dvd rom use such as

vhs, sat, ? YES.

Do I need to run htpc or software to watch hdtv signal from say sat receiver? No, again kinda'. If you are going to watch HTPC via a sat system then you would have to have an HD compatable sat system. If that part is true then you could go straight from the sat system to your projector and get a great HD image.

Do I need to run htpc or software to watch hdtv signal from say sat receiver?

There is a great "starters" area on the top of the HTPC forum post list. you should check it out. If you need any more help, just post or email me.

Hope that helps,

Mike

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
No - not all dvd video discs are progressive!

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
gooki is right. I guess I was thinking that you were referring to the actual DVD ROM player itself, not the DVD's that go in it. BUT.... I was under the impression that most (if not all) DVD's are recorded in a 480p format and the external players convert the signal to 480i for the non-progressive display devices. Isn't that the case?

Mike

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
It's quite common for a dvd video to be encoded as an iterlaced image or telecined image (why they don't encode all dvd's as progressive is beyond me - unless they are sourced from an interlaced soure, ie a TV serries).

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
got it..... Thanks.

Mike

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. So all dvd rom players are progressive but not all dvd discs are encoded progressively. Got it. So what does this mean to the picture while I'm running it through the htpc?

Obviously the htpc will upconvert the signal to progressive whatever you choose. If the disc is not encoded progressively than it makes no difference whether I play the

disc in a progressive(dvd rom) or non progressive dvd player (tv type dvd player).

How will I know if a dvd disc is progressive or not?

How much better will a progressive dvd disc through htpc look then a non progressive disc?

Thanks

Brodi

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.