Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new here, and to the world of big screen TV, so I hope I'm not asking a dumb question right off.

Here's the thing... I bought an Hitachi 57H82 (got a real good deal... my son works at best Buy :)) and an Hitachi 3800 progressive scan DVD player and some Monster 3 component video cables to hook them together. Now the reason I bough the DVD player is because I assumed that you would need progressive scan capability on both components to reap the benefits of either. The problem with all this is that the picture I'm seeing on-screen using a hgh quality DVD (the latest Lord of the Rings special edition) looks far better when I turn the DVD player's progressive scan feature OFF! When it's on the picture looks kind of washed out and not all that sharp. With it off I get a nice clean image with good contrast and color. Why would that be? Am I doing something wrong with the configuration settings perhaps?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I'm not familiar with either model you have but it sounds like the 3-2 pull down in your TV is just that much better than your DVD player. Is the DVD player a low end progressive scan unit? Either the DVD or the TV can do the 3-2 pull down to give you a nice progressive image however usually the DVD player will do a better job since their is one less Digital to Analogue conversion necessary.

·
Registered
71 Posts
3:2 pulldown amd progressive scan are 2 different animals.

Send a 480i picture to a TV and it will play 480i.

A 3:2 pulldown issue will show as jittery motion.

Hitach has different menu settings for 480i and 480p in the service menu.

But isnt a 57H82 a Toshiba????????????

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First of all, thanks for the replies guys...

And yes, that's a big Ooops... I have no idea what I was thinking. The TV and DVD are both Toshiba. The DVD (model 3800) is supposedly a mid range unit with 57mhz DAC, etc., etc..

What I was wondering was, could this apparent strangeness (non-progressive scan output from the DVD looking much better than progressive scan) have anything to do with the infamous Toshiba upconversion of 480i and 480p signals to 540p.

In other words, if the TV is upcoverting what the DVD is sending, regrardless of whether the DVD is outputting p or i, would setting the DVD to p result in a "double conversion", possibly degrading the picture quality somehow? If so, I may have wasted money on the progressive scan DVD.

·
Registered
425 Posts
You will notice differences in quality with different DVD's. In other words, some DVD's can look better in 480i. However, I'd wager your problem may be a result of not having your TV setup properly to take advantage of 480p. Is your brightness, contrast, and sharpness turned way down? Did you start out tweaking your settings in "movie" mode to turn down the amount of SWM?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Damonb10
You will notice differences in quality with different DVD's. In other words, some DVD's can look better in 480i. However, I'd wager your problem may be a result of not having your TV setup properly to take advantage of 480p. Is your brightness, contrast, and sharpness turned way down? Did you start out tweaking your settings in "movie" mode to turn down the amount of SWM?
Well, there's the thing....

As far as I know, the TV doesn't do 480 at all. It takes all 480 (i and p) and turns it into 540p. As to the adjustments, I've read up on that here and I think I have the important items covered:

- Contrast is controlled by ALS (Auto Light Sensor, which works quite well)

- Sharp is turned down to 30 (any lower and it starts to look funny)

- Bright is still at 50

- DNR is on

I've also done the manual convergence thing and have all the colors properly aligned.

As to the DVD itself, I gather that this particular movie (Lord of the Rings: Fellowship, special expanded edition) is very high quality and suitable for use as a benchmark. But it's not just that one DVD either. All the DVDs I've tried look better (ie, sharper, more vivid image) with the player's progressive scan feature turned off. Hence my confusion. After spending all this money on this stuff, I'd really like to be sure that I'm getting the best possible picture quality. Right now I'm not sure... I feel like I'm missing something.

BTW, if it turns out that this Toshiba 480 -> 540 upconversion thing is the problem, I still have an opportunity to return this set and pick up a Mitsubishi model for approximately the same price. The reason I went with Toshiba over Mitsubishi in the first place is that I'm told it does a much better job stretching 4:3 to fit a 16:9 screen. Most of my viewing is still SD broadcast stuff.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Before you rule out the RPTV, you should try another DVD player.

Its the DVD player that puts out the signal, there may be something wrong with it. Besides, its easier to carry the DVD player to BB than an RPTV.

Try another model like th Panasonic RP62 or JVC 500BK, which are prevalent at BB.

Now if you have the same issue with 2 different DVD players, you can blame the set.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jdkbph
Well, there's the thing....

As far as I know, the TV doesn't do 480 at all. It takes all 480 (i and p) and turns it into 540p. As to the adjustments, I've read up on that here and I think I have the important items covered:

- Contrast is controlled by ALS (Auto Light Sensor, which works quite well)

- Sharp is turned down to 30 (any lower and it starts to look funny)

- Bright is still at 50

- DNR is on

I've also done the manual convergence thing and have all the colors properly aligned.

As to the DVD itself, I gather that this particular movie (Lord of the Rings: Fellowship, special expanded edition) is very high quality and suitable for use as a benchmark. But it's not just that one DVD either. All the DVDs I've tried look better (ie, sharper, more vivid image) with the player's progressive scan feature turned off. Hence my confusion. After spending all this money on this stuff, I'd really like to be sure that I'm getting the best possible picture quality. Right now I'm not sure... I feel like I'm missing something.

BTW, if it turns out that this Toshiba 480 -> 540 upconversion thing is the problem, I still have an opportunity to return this set and pick up a Mitsubishi model for approximately the same price. The reason I went with Toshiba over Mitsubishi in the first place is that I'm told it does a much better job stretching 4:3 to fit a 16:9 screen. Most of my viewing is still SD broadcast stuff.
Well, I have an almost identical set-up to yours. I have the same DVD player and the Toshiba 42H81. I have no complaints or see any of the issues you mention. First of all, I have the ALS off. DNR off. Shaprness down to 5. Contrast in the mid 30's and Brightness in the low 40's. Also, when I set up those settings, I started out in "Movie" mode, which is best. You may want to further tweak your settings.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.