AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased a Panasonic RP-62 DVD Player and a Panasonic CT-34WX52 HDTV. The DVD player is connected to my TV via component cables, with an optical cable from the DVD player to my receiver for audio.

When I set up the DVD player, I chose 16:9 as my TV size and enabled progressive output. Having chosen 16:9, I assumed that when I played a DVD the pciture would automatically fill the entire width of my TV, while I recognized that I would likely still have some black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. But when I played some DVDs, they first show up with black bars at BOTH the top/bottom and the sides of the TV. I can then go through the aspect controls on my TV (zoom, full, and just) to adjust it from 4:3 aspect, but:

(1) Should I be able (and have to) adjust DVDs in this manner? Shouldn't they just automatically fill the entire width of my TV once I choose 16:9?

(2) If I do have to adjust the aspect on my TV, which is the proper setting? (i.e., the one with no stretching of the image, since they are widescreen DVDs). It is very hard to tell which aspect choices are stretching it when I do this. "Just" (which on TV viewing is supposed to stretch just the edges of the picture) looks best, but I can't tell if it is stretching the image or not. Since I should not have to stretch DVDs, which is my proper setting?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
764 Posts
jersey - welcome to the forum! It sounds like you had your TV set to 4:3 and your DVD player to 16:9. This would explain why you'd have bars on all 4 sides. When in "component 1" (or "2") for DVD, you should set the the TV to FULL. That is the proper setting for DVDs (and HDTV) with no stretching of a widescreen image. If your Panny is like my PT-47WX52, the JUST mode should not even be an option when the TV gets a progressive scan signal. You can then set your regular TV and other video imputs to whatever you choose (FULL, JUST, ZOOM, or 4:3). The TV should default to the last setting you had in each input. I.e., the next time you go to "Component 1", it should still be defaulted to FULL. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi:I just bought a widescreen tv. I was under the impression if the disc said enhanced for16:9 you wouldn't get black bars top and bottom. I have my player set for wide and tv set for wide.Am Idoing something wrong or are the bars supposed to be there

·
Registered
764 Posts
Pumpkinhead - welcome to the forum! You are not doing anything wrong. Widescreen DVDs are typically 1.85:1 or 2.35:1. Your widescreen TV is 16:9, which is 1.78:1. Because of overscan, 1.85:1 DVDs will fill your screen completely while 2.35:1 will still have black bars (albeit smaller than on a 4:3 TV) on the top and bottom. The only way to get rid of them, at the expense of losing some of the left and right of the picture, is to use your TV's ZOOM mode (which will result in poorer picture quality) or get a DVD player that zooms (typically better picture quality than using the TV's ZOOM mode) like the Toshibas or JVCs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks Tony Ihave a samsung tantus that has 2 zoom modes zoom 1 fills the screen on the 1.85-1 discs . Interesting my granddaughter rented lilo &stitch from walt disney and it was in 1.66-1 so it filled the screen with no problem.

·
Registered
15,483 Posts
pumpkinhead,

Try watching 2.35:1 movies in 2.35:1, without cropping. You'll get used to it and preserve the intent of the director of photography (frame composition) and the film's director. Watch the movie, not the black bars. :)

Dan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks guys:I have no problem with the black bars I've never rented a dvd with full screen only.It's that I didn't understand what enhanced for 16:9 meant.I thought it meant it would fill the screen.

·
Registered
27,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pumpkinhead
It's that I didn't understand what enhanced for 16:9 meant.I thought it meant it would fill the screen.
No, "enhanced for 16:9" means that you will get a higher resolution image on a widescreen television.

Read this:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...c/welcome.html

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My Panasonic RP-62 DVD player is set to 16:9.

(1) When progressive out is enabled on the DVD player and progressive out is pressed to "on" on the DVD player (so that it lights up), then I get 3 aspect options on my TV (Panasonic CT-34WX52) - 4:3, Full, and Zoom.

(2) When progressive out is disabled on the DVD player OR progressive out is not pressed to "on" on the DVD player, then I get 4 aspect options on my TV - 4:3, Full, Zoom and Just.

With some DVDs (i.e. Rounders), the black bars on top and bottom are much thicker depending on which of these options I choose and the "Full" mode appears to stretch the image more depending on the option I choose. With other DVDs (i.e., Austin Powers in the Spy who Shagged Me), the bars are thin regardless of whether I choose option 1 or 2 above and Full appears to give a clear picture under either option.

Since my TV manual says that I should only get the 3 aspect choices (4:3, Full and Zoom) when the TV is receiving a 480p signal, I assume that option 1 above is how my TV should be set up, and that I should watch the DVD in Full mode for best picture. Is this how it HAS to be set up in order for my TV to display a progressive scan image (the best picture)?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Ideally, wiht your TV in 16:9 mode and your progressive scan DVD player set yo 16:9 mode with progressive scan enabled, you would watch anamorphic DVDs (like Goldmember, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars Episode II, Blade II, etc) with the TV in "Full" mode. "Full" mode is designed for viewing anamorphic material.

When you watch non-anamorphic material, like Rounders, The Abyss, etc, then you should use some other video mode on your TV since "Full" will stretch the image. Maybe "Just" would work better or some other video mode.

If the DVD you watch does NOT indicate an anamorphic video transfer (e.g. "enhanced for widescreen TVs", or "enhanced for 16:9 TVs", or "Anamorphic Widescreen", or some other derivative) then don't use "Full" mode on your TV.

Now here comes the tricky part. _Some_ TVs will lock in "Full" mode when a progressive signal is detected and will NOT let you change the video mode. That's partly why the Panasonic DVD-RP91 was such a popular player since _it_ would scale non-anamorphic material for you and display it beautifully on your 16:9 TV.

"Modern" TVs don't lock like that, so it's not as much of an issue these days. It sounds like your TV does NOT exhibit this behavior, so you don't need to worry about it. :)

Good luck! :)

Peace.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.