AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why arn't all dvd movies in 1.78:1 or 1.18 aspect ratio? those are the only ratios that fill a widescreen TV...correct? what is the purpose of 2.35:1 and other ratios...is this decided when the movie is being filmed? i'm tired of watching movies(some of my favorite) with black bars on the top and bottom!!

·
Registered
607 Posts
I really hope you're not serious...... 2.35 Aspect is far superior to 1.85 for most filmakers because they can get a more panoramic view of the the action. The bars on a 2.35 movies are very small anyways. If it bothers you that much you can always zoom the image. (no suggested) Most tv's have that feature.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, you can zoom the picture but then you cut off some of the picture in the process. and yes... i am serious, the black bars suck...panaramic picture or not the black bars suck!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just don't understand why people are so bothered by the lack of information at the top and bottom but if it bothers you so much you can make something to cover the unused part of the screen while viewing wide aspect ratio movies. There are people who have done this because they prefer that the image go into a matte instead of black. It's very unlikely that directors will start using the 1.78 ratio because like someone else pointed out it is less panoramic. I know you don't care about that, but cinematographers and others do. :)

-- Steve

·
Registered
607 Posts
look at it this way. If you want a full picture at all costs. Then zoom and crop. (which I agree Sucks) but otherwise you will just have to live with the bars.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Movies are made first for theaters, and then adapted for television during DVD transfers.

Most movies today are made in either 2.35:1 or 1.85:1 aspect ratios. Older movies come in all types of aspect ratios.

They are then adapted for television

- widescreen (1.77:1 or 16:9)

- fullscreen (1.33:1 or 4:3)

When adpating, they have 2 options:

- pan and scan to cut out material on the side so that the movie fills the television screen

- present it in its original splendor but you have to live with the black bars on top and bottom

Adapting 1:85 to 1:77 is relatively easy, adapting 2:35 to 1.77 is where they have to make a compromise.

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by winteak
Just curious, why don't they just make tvs that are 2:35:1 and be done with it?
But then you'd have lots of material with bars on the sides (which I find more bothersome than bars top and bottom). Also, the HDTV spec defines 16:9 as the aspect ratio for compliant TVs.

If you really hate black bars top/bottom or on the sides, get a front projector and a screen. That's just the way theaters work.

Dean

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Turn off the lights. It's hard to see a black cat eating licorice in a coal bin without a lot of light.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Quote:
It's hard to see a black cat eating licorice in a coal bin without a lot of light.
That was a classic my friend.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by winteak
Just curious, why don't they just make tvs that are 2:35:1 and be done with it?
tHE 2.35 TO 1 RATIO are in anamorphic and have enhanced graphics for digital play. Most of the films shot in 70mm are done in 2:35 to 1. It is purely cost.

It is by far the best video quality you can get. I pined for what this guy is upset about because my old set had only super video and to take advantage of the enhanced quality, you had to have progressive scan and a digital set. When I watched the same DVD's on a friends set, the exact model after mine at the time, with that being the only difference, it was night and day on those DVDs.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Skellington
I just don't understand why people are so bothered by the lack of information at the top and bottom but if it bothers you so much you can make something to cover the unused part of the screen while viewing wide aspect ratio movies. There are people who have done this because they prefer that the image go into a matte instead of black. It's very unlikely that directors will start using the 1.78 ratio because like someone else pointed out it is less panoramic. I know you don't care about that, but cinematographers and others do. :)

-- Steve
It isn't that they are bothered by it alone, but that there were years when everybody said you had bars on the top and bottom with DVD because of the shape of your set, and when tv's went 16/9 it would go away. Then sets did that, and most of them didn't after years of people saying that as if it were a forgone conclusion. It is nice when they don't have them, but when they are really noticeable, it is 2:35 and the picture is just that much better, so it is a good tradeoff.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.