Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've some MPEG2 capture from SD DVB channel and want to make a DVD. I don't want to transcode (decode/encode) the video.

1 stream is at 9Mbps and works fine with IFOEdit. Using ImageTool I got a working DVD playback on standalone DVD player.

The other stream is at 14Mbps (still at 720x480i) and IFOEdit report error when creating VOB file. I know the bitrate is over DVD spec. But you never know whether a DVD player can play it or not until you actually try it! And even a normal standalone DVD player can't play it, a HTPC sure can handle the case.

My question is anyone know other DVD authoring tool can handle the case?

Thanks in advance.

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Li On
Hi,

I've some MPEG2 capture from SD DVB channel and want to make a DVD. I don't want to transcode (decode/encode) the video.

1 stream is at 9Mbps and works fine with IFOEdit. Using ImageTool I got a working DVD playback on standalone DVD player.

The other stream is at 14Mbps (still at 720x480i) and IFOEdit report error when creating VOB file. I know the bitrate is over DVD spec. But you never know whether a DVD player can play it or not until you actually try it! And even a normal standalone DVD player can't play it, a HTPC sure can handle the case.

My question is anyone know other DVD authoring tool can handle the case?

Thanks in advance.

regards,

Li On
Is the IFOedit error because the software can't handle the 14Mbps rate or because it is out of DVD spec?

If the problem is only because it is objecting to the out of spec situation, you could try using DVDpatcher to modify the bitrate in the header (first header or entire file) to something within DVD spec, process with IFOedit and then use DVDpatcher to modify the bitrate header(s) back to the original rate. DVDpatcher handles both mpg and vob.

Out of interest, what tools are available to convert DVB captures (AVPES or TS) to standard mpeg2 PS as mpg or vob? Here in Australia, we hope to have some DVB-T cards soon to access DVB transmissions and I'm wondering whether the ATSC tools will be useable in this context. With luck, we might be able to capture both SDTV and HDTV (at least as TS), but the tools to playback DVB sourced HDTV are probably not yet available.

Ian

·
Registered
229 Posts
Ian,

I too have been wondering the same. I was thinking regarding the new SD card from Renura Ent. due soon that with the right software, why wouldnt we be able to capture the HD TS stream, assuming we can tune the frequency (which most SD set top boxes can do) an then use the software playback from a program like Videolan or a custom filtergraph for playback. TS files are just mpeg2 streams with transport info, and videolan can play these directly. I think the card should do the DVB work if I'm not mistaken, once it hits the hard drive it will be packetized mpeg2 at Australian resolutions and frame rates.

Andrew

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.