AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All: I've looked and found threads on backing up for storage or playing from computers, but can I just back up my DVD disks onto a blank DVD disk using a program? If so, which one?

Thanks!

Anthony

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
hi Are you talking about SDVD or DVD-Audio disks??

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The_Nephilim1: Thank you. I was looking for something to Backup my DVD-A's onto a DVD writable disk. What's the difference between SDVD and DVD Audio? I'm not familiar with the SDVD format.

rdgrimes: Thank you. Will look into that.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Umm that is just another term for DVD Standard DVD like movies

rdgrimes what about the watermark??

·
Registered
22,562 Posts
DVDFab in clone mode makes a bit for bit identical ISO copy of any DVD. Be aware that many DVD-A require a DL disc. It will store the ISO on HDD then you can burn it later or play it on the PC with an appropriate program.

DVDFab has a fully functional 30-day free trial.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/18153217

DVDFab in clone mode makes a bit for bit identical ISO copy of any DVD. Be aware that many DVD-A require a DL disc. It will store the ISO on HDD then you can burn it later or play it on the PC with an appropriate program.

Will it do a direct DVD disc to DVD disc burn?

·
Registered
22,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation /forum/post/18153332

Will it do a direct DVD disc to DVD disc burn?

It can, but *may* write the ISO file first, I haven't tried that option. Since most drives read DVD slower than the average burner can write one, it's usually best not to try copying on the fly.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/18153481

It can, but *may* write the ISO file first, I haven't tried that option. Since most drives read DVD slower than the average burner can write one, it's usually best not to try copying on the fly.

I've done it many times without issues with DVD to DVD (so I can distribute home movies among scattered family members). You just have to remember to set the burner at a sufficiently low speed. I will try this software and hope it works as advertised.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/18153217

OK I tried to makea copy of STP "Core" and I get the copyright error when playing the copied version?? Can you PM the Details on How to get this To copy using DVDFab??

What did you mean a DL Disk?? what is DL??

·
Registered
1,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark /forum/post/18175750

Dual Layer

Ahh ok the Metallica DVD-A is a dual layer disk. either way DVDFab dont work for DVD-A and copying..

·
Registered
22,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Nephilim1 /forum/post/18175799

Ahh ok the Metallica DVD-A is a dual layer disk. either way DVDFab dont work for DVD-A and copying..

It most certainly does.

You must use clone mode, also check the box for "copy original IFO files", and uncheck the box for "copy DVD-Video data only".

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Nephilim1 /forum/post/18175718

OK I tried to makea copy of STP "Core" and I get the copyright error when playing the copied version?? Can you PM the Details on How to get this To copy using DVDFab??

What did you mean a DL Disk?? what is DL??

DVD-A may have one or two levels of protection. First level (general encryption) is defeated by DVDFab. Second level is watermark in audio stream. Some DVD-A players (like Oppo) ignore it and you can play copy there. Others stop playing after 15 - 30 seconds and report copyright error. There is no work around this issue, other than grab audio tracks with tools like DVDAExplorer and converting them to FLAC or go the long way making AVCHD disk for BD players.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Ap1 so if I go the FLAC route I will Only be able to play those on a PC with a Supported FLAC Player like WinAMP?? If I hook the PC to my Stereo I can go that router to

I had converted it to a WAV file I am NOT sure How to add the command line to convert to FLAC Automatically I just used a WAV to FLAC Converter??

Can you PM me what I should put in the command line to convert to FLAC I know there is a flac -f "%filepath% I am NOT sure what to put in for FILEPATH??

Will these FLAC files Play on my Denon 1930ci DVD-A Player??

·
Registered
1,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Nephilim1 /forum/post/18177626

Ap1 so if I go the FLAC route I will Only be able to play those on a PC with a Supported FLAC Player like WinAMP?? If I hook the PC to my Stereo I can go that router to

I had converted it to a WAV file I am NOT sure How to add the command line to convert to FLAC Automatically I just used a WAV to FLAC Converter??

Can you PM me what I should put in the command line to convert to FLAC I know there is a flac -f "%filepath% I am NOT sure what to put in for FILEPATH??

If you are trying to burn a copy of a DVD Audio disc, check out the "Pages" section of the SurroundSound google group, there is a list there of DVD Audio players that won't check the watermark - players that do check usually stop after 15 - 30 seconds of playing a copied DVD-Audio disc that has watermark.

If you are going the FLAC route and wish to play it through your AVR, you will most likely have to play back from a computer hooked to it either via HDMI or analogs connected to the AVR's multichannel analog inputs. I think there are a few media players that can also handle multichannel FLAC, i.e., the Dune base/prime - with that you would send the multichannel FLAC from your computer to the media player over your network (or connect a hard drive with the FLAC files), then that would decode and send to your AVR as pcm via HDMI or analog. I doubt that the Denon DVD-A player can play multichannel flac files that are burned onto a disc as data files, but I don't know that as a fact.

To get multichannel wav files from a DVD Audio disc you can use a program called "DVD Audio Explorer", if you search the net you should find it. Point the program to the AUDIO_TS.IFO file that is on the disc, select the track(s) to save, then click the Save (floppy disc) icon. In the dialog that comes up, you want the "Output directory" to point to where you want to save the file(s); "Convert to wav" and "Merge groups" should be checked. To save as multichannel FLAC instead of multichannel wav, download the flac.exe converter and I recommend placing it in the DVDAExplorer/bin folder. Then in that save dialog also check "Run Program" and have the following command line exactly as shown:

flac -f %filepath%

Note that the conversion to flac seems to fail for me if the source / target paths are long, so I usually use just a temp directory with a very short filepath for the target, then copy it to where I want after it is done.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Nephilim1 /forum/post/18177626

You can't play FLAC in Denon.

You can use EAC3TO to convert MLP files (from DVDAExplorer) to multi-channel FLAC. FLAC files can be played with Foobar2000 on your PC.

Unfortunately procedure for ripping DVD-A is not straight forward, and you have to go through trials end errors, before you find your way of doing things.

Good thing is that most tools you need to do it are available for free.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
OK I see I will just copy the DVD-A with DVD-Fab and use a Player like the Yamaha DVD-S657 that ignores the watermark THNX

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.