AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the Kenwood 5700 and have had good luck so far on my system. Got my first DVD-A disc tonight and it sounds better than the usual CD, but I noticed my receiver (Denon 2801) is not registering it as Dolby Digitial or DTS. The receiver has the 6 required inputs for DVD-Audio. I suspect the connection cables are the problem--I am using Monster Cable Interlink 250's. They have red and white adapters at each end so I am using 3 cables total--I hope that makes sense. Do I need 6 separate monopolar cables to get the Digital signal that I think I should be getting?

Many thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
86 Posts
Dan,

If you are using the 6ch input then you are using an analog conection. You cannot pass a DD or DTS signal over an analog line. Your DVD player is actually doing the decoding. This is the correct way to listen to DVD-A or SACD. So dont worry, you are fine.

Craig :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Craig,

Thanks for the reply. My thought that things weren't "right" also came from the fact that the center channel by far was carrying the most signal. Even though this is not unusual for movies, I thought that it would be more widely distributed among the front and surround speakers.

Dan

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Your Denon is in fact registering things correctly, as the DVD-Audio signal goes in as an analog signal. It should not be processed by your receiver either.

Have you calibrated the players outputs? It's probable that the CC is too high vs the other speakers, which would tend to make things sound "folded down" into the CC.

Regards,

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
John,

I calibrated the speaker outputs using the Denon on-screen menu. I did not specifically repeat that for the DVD-player as it seemed that the unit was balanced during movies. I will tool around with that tonight and see what happens.

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
58 Posts
It may be that your speakers are just imaging better than they have before with this higher res. signal. If it sounds like everything is in the middle of the sound stage you might want to move your left and right speakers a little further apart or just toe them out a little. This might give you the bigger front sound stage.

Hope this helps, if not just do like my wife. Smile nod and ignore me. Its okay I'm tough it won't hurt.

Greg

·
Registered
191 Posts
You need to calibrate the analoge 6 channel outputs from the DVD player. Most DVD-Audio players have a test tone that you can use as well.

Were you using the digital (optical/SPDIF) connection while watching your movies? If so, this is the reason the movie sounds fine but the DVD-Audio doesn't. The DD/DTS digital connection is decoded at the receiver/processor. DVD-Audio is decoded on the DVD-A player, so the audio equalisation needs to be done there rather than at the receiver for DVD-A.

WSquared

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.