AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had trouble outputting hi-res 5.1 audio signals from DVD-A discs? I cannot convince my DVD player (Panny CP72) to do this. Here's my situation:

My DVD player is set up for multichannel audio, and my speaker settings are all correct. When I run the "test" in the speaker settings menu, everything works fine. I know DVD-A requires the 6-channel analog connection to the receiver and am utilizing that connection, rather than the digital optical cable. I also have my receiver (Panny SA-HE200) on the 6-channel DVD input. It receives a signal from the DVD player, but it is not a 5.1 signal. Instead it's a 2.0 signal that my receiver uses ProLogic II to convert to "fake" surround.

I can play DTS 5.1 tracks on some DVD-A discs via the digital optical cable, but I can get absolutely no MLP signal to my receiver. Worse yet, the Yes - Fragile DVD-A disc defaults to a menu that doesn't even include 5.1 tracks. When I put that disc into my computer DVD-ROM drive, I get the original menu with multiple 5.1 options.

It seems like the DVD player is the problem, and I'm planning to take it in to have the firmware upgraded. (I'm operating on 2.82 - anyone know what's the current version for the CP72?) I've spent hours on the phone with Panasonic's support people to no avail.

I've encountered other people on the web who have had this problem, mostly with Panny DVD players but also with a Technics model. Unfortunately, I haven't found anyone who knows how to fix it. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I used to own the 72s and now own the f85s which is the new slimer version. I have both of those hooked up at the my store (CC) and both work fine there. The only thing I would tell you is to go back through the dvd player's setup and turn it to two channel and see what happens. Then go and set it back to multi speaker output. I would then ask the store where you purchased it to hook it up to their dvd-a reciever and test it there as well. ( THis usually helps convince the manager that it is not an ESO problem(Equipment Superior to Operator)). If it does not work there then ask him to please be kind enough to exchange it for another one there. Whatever you do don't be mean or loud. Where did you purchase it by the way?

subfan.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Subfan-

Thanks for your post! I bought the player at Circuit City, but it's past the 30-day return policy. They were very friendly and understanding about the problem, but they say I have to deal with Panasonic directly now.

I have tried toggling back and forth from two channel to multichannel, and that hasn't made a difference. In fact, I have played with every possible menu setting, both on my own and with the aid of Panny support people. It seems like I've exhausted all menu options.

Do you happen to have the Yes-Fragile DVD-A? Apparently, this problem is more common with Rhino and Warner discs, and especially with the Yes - Fragile disc. I would be interested in knowing whether you can get the menu with the 5.1 tracks on the 72s.

Also, do you happen to know what firmware version your 72s is running on? I haven't been able to determine what the current version is.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Try using the AUDIO button to toggle between mixes on this title.

It might be authored using the v1.1 spec for DVD-A authoring.

Regards,

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi John,

IT WORKED! I never would have guessed that I could get to an audio version using the AUDIO button that I couldn't reach from the menu. Crazy. THANKS SO MUCH!!

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Cielo,

No problem. Glad to be of assistance.

It is neither an MLP or a DVD-Audio problem :D

Regards,

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Quote:
I also have my receiver (Panny SA-HE200) on the 6-channel DVD input
Interesting that your Receiver is applying processing to the 6 CH input (assuming I understood you correctly) when the player is only sending along 2.0 signals.

I would have expected most receivers that accept a 6 CH in to pass them straight along to the volume control un-molested.

BGL

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BGL,

You're right - my receiver doesn't process the signal from the 6-channel input. I didn't explain myself very well. What I meant was that I only got a 2.0 signal. In order to get sound out of all the speakers, I had to switch off the 6-channel input so that the receiver could process it like a ProLogic signal and create "fake" surround.

In any event, things are working fine. I just bought the Eagles - Hotel California DVD-A which gave me 6-channel sound with no problems at all . . . and WOW - really great sound on this one!

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
You might try to see if your dvd player has a firmware update. You shouldn't have to push the audio button to get to the correct sound output. My dvd player had a similar problem until i updated it and now it plays fine right when you put the disc in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.