AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are lots of programs out there that call themselves "DVD Audio rippers" (brands I keep coming across include Xilisoft, CAS, KaosAudio/Yasa, Acala, Jesterware, Aimersoft, 4Movy -- the list is endless, really) but contrary to what the name suggests they don't rip DVD-Audio discs -- they rip the audio from DVD-Video discs, which is not at all what I'm after.

Is there any program that will do this, or that will at least offer playback of DVD-Audio discs?

·
Registered
178 Posts
My Creative software that came with my X-Fi Platinum soundcard will rip 96/24 5.1, 4.0, or 2.0 LPCM files from directly from a CD to my hard drive.

The source is 44.1/16 of course.

The program DVD Solo can then convert the 4.0 and 2.0 files to DVD-Audio and burn onto a DVD. So you can upconvert/upsample a CD to a DVD-Audio disc.

You can play these back using the Creative Player or with PowerDVD Ultra using the multichannel output from your computer and connecting to your multichannel input to your receiver. You need the Ultra version form multichannel output.

That is how you can rip and playback DVD Audio with your computer. The results vary. Many recordings improved, others had some alteration to the sound that actually made it less clear.

The DVD's burned will play on any DVD Audio player.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discwelder Bronze can burn any LPCM files, even the 5.1 96/24 files, to DVD Audio.

This program is quite expensive and downconverts the files to 48/24. Still it is quite elegant. The higher priced versions of this software can burn 96/24 multichannel files.

·
Registered
41 Posts

frenchglen; ... Playback: I go so far as to say that there still isn't an ideal solution for DVD-Audio playback on the PC...at least said:
Can you tell me what leads you to believe PowerDVD downconverts the audio? I've read this before but have found nor heard any evidence to support it.

Are you talking about sample rate or bit depth (or both)? How do you determine the conversion?

Thanks in advance.

George

·
Registered
178 Posts
I believe PowerDVD outputs in 2.0. You have to buy one of the upgrades to output in multichannel. I don't think it downsamples, however.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes, sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. I agree with Frenchglen that DVDAExplorer is the only way to go for ripping DVD-Audio.

But when I saw Frenchglen state that PowerDVD player downconverts the audio, I had to ask for more information. I've heard that before but have not seen nor heard any evidence to support it. Cyberlink's website doesn't mention downconverting. The information from PowerDVD states its playing at 96K, my soundcard shows its playing at 96K, and it sounds like 96K.

Could be bit depth that people claim is being downconverted from 24 to 16. I don't know. I'd like to know more about this.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
There are two programs I use: DVDFab Platinum and DVD-A Explorer.

DVDFab - This program will break the encryption and create your choice of an iso file or a video/audio_TS folders on your hard drive. This copies the entire disc and will produce a ready to burn copy. This doesn't break the watermark however if it is present.

DVD-Audio Explorer - This program allows you to rip the individual .mlp songs from the disc. This is useful for creating a mixed dvd-a of your own using Chrome or other software. DVD-A explorer also allows you to rip the songs into wav, flac, etc. Once again, will not remove the watermark.

To play back on the computer I use the Creative DVD-A player which came with my x-fi soundcard. Powerdvd definitely downmixes the audio. The Creative player sounds much better than Powerdvd. Some versions of Powerdvd ignore the watermark, thus will playback all discs. Creative won't allow you to play copies which have the watermark. BTW Powerdvd downmixes the lossless audio for BD and HD DVD discs as well.

·
Registered
75 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeshannon /forum/post/14286703

Thanks for the link. That's quite a long discussion. I agree with David Scott that DVDFab is a very useful application.
+1 for DVDFab Platinum

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchglen /forum/post/14283588

Yep, that thread has it all. The problem is, DVD-Audio also has a protected audio stream, and I think Cyberlink has simply truncated all audio output to 16-bit/48kHz max. The sound card may output at 96K, but we've concluded that PowerDVD doesn't.

Explanation I found here :

CyberLink PowerDVD 8 is capable of high-definition audio decoding. However, due to the industries lack of common secure audio path technology, all protected audio content (eg. DVD-Audio, Blu-ray Disc) will force audio to be down-sampled to 48Khz/16bit output resolution. This constraint will be removed once an approved secure audio path is deployed for the PC ecosystem.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T7T /forum/post/14316376

This constraint will be removed once an approved secure audio path is deployed for the PC ecosystem.[/i]

Translation, never!

The methods listed before are all good and nice but are just ridiculously complex. If you like that DVD-A player creative made for the X-FI don't ever upgrade to vista, it won't work and they don't plan on making one. DVD-A sure is one technology they wanted to fail anyways! I gave up on listening to them on my PC a long time ago and just bought a standalone player, much simpler and HDMI to boot.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
I copied my DVD-As about 3 years ago. I compressed them with WavPack and winamp can play them back in full quality including 24/96 5.1 and 24/192 stereo. I output using the ILink winamp plugin, works well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good for you. I put 100 DVD-A on a 500GB external hard drive ($99). That's $1 per DVD-A. I play them with Soundforge at 24/96 5.1 through my M-Audio 1010 to my Denon 3803. The DACs on the 1010 are excellent.

Soundforge is not confounded by watermarks.

Who needs discs!!

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I think they are saved as ISO images on HDD

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes, ripped to wav.

Take Chicago II for example. Sides 1 and 2 (tracks 1-12) are 3.5GB while sides 3 and 4 (tracks 13-23) are 3.2 GB.

Soundforge has a 4GB file size limit. One must get up and change the record just like the old days.

And yes, I have the iso on a second HD as a backup. Arrangements are made for offsite backup storage as well.

·
Registered
95 Posts
There's a new HDMI soundcard coming out from Auzentech I believe in September at some point. That's the card that I think will make using HTPCs for media storage/easy DVD-A playback a reality for those of us with modern HDMI receivers. It will just do straight passthrough of the WAV files to the receiver's DACs and if we're lucky, their drivers will be good enough to convert MLP or FLAC in software and spit out multichannel PCM so we can all save some space.

·
Registered
161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmferraiolo /forum/post/14469022

There's a new HDMI soundcard coming out from Auzentech I believe in September at some point. That's the card that I think will make using HTPCs for media storage/easy DVD-A playback a reality for those of us with modern HDMI receivers. It will just do straight passthrough of the WAV files to the receiver's DACs and if we're lucky, their drivers will be good enough to convert MLP or FLAC in software and spit out multichannel PCM so we can all save some space.

It's great that many HDMI audio solutions are coming out now, and my favourite to get at the moment is the Gigabyte GA-EG45M-DS2H motherboard using Intel's G45 chipset. In fact we've had working HDMI audio for at least a year as far as I can tell (and if I'm right, even since 2006).

But I'll keep ripping to FLAC for my personal HTPC listening due to what I said in post#2. Besides, I prefer to have them all in separate tracks where I can search for them in vista and put them in hi-res playlists/folders. It cleans all the bonus feature/fancy menu business on the discs and in the end I don't care for seeing the menu time and time again to make sure I'm listening to original quality, I know I have the original disc archived away if I need to rip it again.

Files on a hard drive is the future of music listening and HTPC will make this a reality for my hi-res library too. I just want storage to become cheaper and more convenient! (1TB drives are still the size of bricks)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts