AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Denon 3802 and currently have a DVD Audio player hooked up using the external in audio connections. I am considering getting a SACD player that also needs the external in audio connections. Does anyone know of a 5/6 channel digital coax switching box?

·
Premium Member
3,831 Posts
Those are analog signals, not digital coming out of your DVD-A and SACD player. The only RCA connector based switcher I know of is at Radio Shack (not sure if it will work well enough for the formats you want to switch).

Greg

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
This is one of the shortcomings of the new high-resolution digital formats, the signals available are only analog.

There are a few options.

1) Take 6 Y adapters and connect them to the 5.1 bypass input.

2) Buy 3 stereo switch boxes.

3) Get something like the Sony TA-E9000ES (I think that's the part. It's a 3input, 6 channel analog preamp. You'd take the analog outs of the DVD-A and SACD into this, and the analog outputs of the preamp into the 5.1 input of your receiver. This piece is about US$700 at list, I don't know what it's streeting for.

4) The best, and most expensive solution, is the EMM Labs Switchman-2, which has four sets of 6 channel inputs, and is nothing short of fabulous. It's US$3200 and you'd be best served upgrading everything else in your system.

Ok, 4 probably isn't realistic, and with option 1, you have to be careful not to play them both back at the same time.

Ask me about bass management some other time ;-)

Regards,

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:) Thanks for the info. I may try the Y connector low tech setup for a while. I am convinced that both DVD A and SACD will not survive and software will dry up for the loser. Then I'll be back to only one connection.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Garman,

I'm within driving distance, I dare you to say that after hearing the Switchman-2 ;)

Hee Hee Hee.

For US$450, it's hard to go wrong with the Sony in all seriousness.

Regards,

·
Registered
7,920 Posts
Sorry Guys been in the HT forums too long. The price for this unit is at OADE Brothers... They have some of the best prices on high-end Sony gear. ES etc.... Here is there site.... They had the 555ES SACD for $775.00 so not a bad price for going to multi-channel SACD. I have heard Logic 7 and Trifield by Merdian, and these are excellent formats, but Sony is trying to make this a mass market not a niche one and I think there starting to do a good job.

http://www.oade.com/

Call and ask for Jim Oade and tell him Gar from WI sent ya.. There prices are great, been buying gear from them for years.

·
Registered
468 Posts
You can buy a patch bay. Here is one for $60. Of course you will need 4 sets of cords.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.