AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm slow.:D But I'm ready to jump into DVD-A and don't know what's available on DVD-A and running searches on the web sites isn't very helpful.

What are the best quality sounding DVD-A discs? Sorry, I don't do rap or hip-hop and I don't have an SACD player.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I agree that finding DVD-A's in an All-Inclusive list is difficult to find. I did speak to two Best Buy representatives from two different store here in KC. They both are stocking over 200 DVD-A's next week...not all different titles mind you.

From a personal note: I too just purchased a DVD-A changer, and have bought two titles.

GARY NUMAN:ANTHOLOGY Remember him from the 80's with his new wave hit, "CARS"? The disc is typical Numan in comparison to his last few discs...but with a highlight of several live versions of his classics. Audio is very good.

BLUEMAN GROUP:AUDIO These famous threesome seen on the Intel Pentium Processor commercials can now be seen on MTV and VH1 with their current release COMPLEX album. AUDIO is a two sided DVD-A featuring DTS/DolbyDigital on one side and DVD-A on the other. Contains a interview with founding BlueMen and other goodies...including a SPEAKER SET UP chapter....which at the end of the instruction of the PHASE test, if your speakers are wired out of phase....you are instructed to get someone who knows what they are doing! (tongue in cheek, typical BlueMan antics)

This disc will WORK your system to its potential...and is not for the faint of heart. Bass notes on this disc will easily hammer a poor system to death in the first song title! The AUDIO mix is excellent and cannot be compared to the original CD release. Each surround channel is used so extensively that your room will be bombarded from each wall with tribal beats and waining guitar rhythms.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Maybe look a few threads down for a post entitled "Recommended DVD-Audio titles"....just a suggestion.

·
Registered
879 Posts
There are a number of good 'uns. Just off the top of my head, here are some DVD-As that have duly impressed me, in content and sonics...

Classical & Orchestral

Stravinsky/Ravel (Firebird & Bolero) - AIX Records
Review Here

Big Band

Les Brown & His Band of Renown: Session #55 - DTS Entertainment
Review Here

Flamenco Guitar/Rock Instrumental

Steve Stevens: Flamenco A Go Go - DTS Entertainment
Review Here

Acoustic Guitar

Peppino D'Agostino: Acoustic Guitar - DTS Entertainment
Review Here

Classic Rock

America: Homecoming - Rhino
Review Here

Eagles: Hotel California
Review Here

Cheers,

·
Registered
346 Posts
This site is not a bad place to start.

For me it is Bjork-Vespertine. Even if you don't like her music, this disk can show you the potential of 5.1 music. The mix is done incredibly well. This album just does not work in stereo and 5.1 is the only way you can fully enjoy it.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Quote:
What is the most anticipated upcoming DVD-A?
For me, it's Yes' Close To The Edge, which is supposedly in the works (release date TBD).

Musictap.net just posted a nice update, announcing upcoming DVD-A titles from Fleetwood Mac, Steely Dan, REM, The Cars, etc.

Cheers,

·
Registered
28 Posts
Bucky Pizarelli "Swing Live" (from Chesky Records) is excellent. Also available in SACD. The two discs have different mixes (DVD-A has 2ch 24/96 LPCM, 4ch 24/96 MLP/PPCM, and Chesky 6ch 24/96 MLP/PPCM, the DVD-V layer of the DVD-A has 24/96 LPCM and 5.1 dolby digital, the SACD has 2ch DSD and 5.1ch DSD, the CD layer of the SACD has 2ch PPCM).

Adam

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by avnubee
Ok, so I'm slow.:D But I'm ready to jump into DVD-A and don't know what's available on DVD-A and running searches on the web sites isn't very helpful.

What are the best quality sounding DVD-A discs? Sorry, I don't do rap or hip-hop and I don't have an SACD player.

Thanks
Check out www.highfidelityreview.com

If you want to know what's available, go to www.dvdpricesearch.com Then, do a search for "DVD-A"--it will pull up pretty much all that's available. It will also give you a shopping function that lets you find the cheapest place on the net for that disc.

Nick :cool:

·
Registered
587 Posts
I just bought my first DVD-A disk yesterday, Queen, Day at the races, it sounded great. I might have to stop stealing songs off the internet and start buying again.

~ Jay

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Quote:
I just bought my first DVD-A disk yesterday, Queen, Day at the races
Hmmm I've never seen or heard of this one in DVD-Audio.....you talking about A Night at the Opera?

·
Registered
64 Posts
My favorite DVD-Audio discs so far are:

Esteban (awesome recording/mix, very nice music)

ELP - Brain Salad Surgery (fun stuff, great mix)

RTW

·
Registered
587 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Yosh70
Hmmm I've never seen or heard of this one in DVD-Audio.....you talking about A Night at the Opera?
Sorry, you are correct. I was mentally reviewing of the Queen albums I have and was thinking to myself which ones would make to DVD-A. I was doing this as I was typing my post and suffered a momentary (i hope) lapse of cognitive thought.

Sorry

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.