AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it any way at all possible to get dvd-audio to a reciever WITHOUT 5.1 channel analog inputs ? i dont really want to get rid of my reciever, but i want to take advantage of the multicannel hi- res option...i understand i can still listen to the stereo hi-res version correct? i have a kenwood vr- 3100 .....cool looking reciever and awsome remote but it boggles my mind why they would leave out something as simple as 5 analog inputs on a reciever ....even the cheap stuff at best buy have analog inputs ...so if there is any fix arounds out there i would be much abliged .

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
The answer of course, is the magical "it depends".

Some DVD-A discs have dedicated stereo mixes, some don't.

Some DVD-A discs allow you to downmix multi-channel into a stereo mix, some don't.

I'm not at all familiar with this receiver, and don't want to give you specific advice due to this lack of familiarity.

That being said, if your receiver doesn't have analog bypass capability, you aren't hearing what DVD-A is capable of. Some receivers call this feature "direct" mode as well.

Some DVD-A players provide a downsampled stereo output of the DVD-A signal which you could take into your receiver, but again this is model dependent.

Are you confused yet :D

Regards,

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have analog bypass , but only for two channels--not 5 . one good thing i have seen from most every dvd audio disk is they have 3 listen options---advanced resolution multichannel, advanced resolution stereo, and regular play for standard dvd players .

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
This is true of most of the WB discs, the very first releases where not so encoded, examples that I purchased in the very first batch of their DVD-As which required downmix to stereo, instead of having a dedicated mix:

Emerson, Lake and Palmer Brain Salad Surgery

kd lang Invincible Summer

Natalie Merchant Tiger Lily

did not contain stereo mixes. Newer pressings of these titles might now have stereo mixes.

Grab some of the Silverline titles, like Aaron Neville's Devotion, Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band Swingin' for the fences and Glen Philips' Abulum and you'll understand what I'm talking about with respect to no downmix ;)

Regards,

Regards,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.