Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys and Gals,

What is a good package to author DVDs? I want to take my camcorder movies and put them on DVD. I want to create dynamic menus and have the disks play in normal DVD players. I figure I will send the home movies of my son (now 2 years old) to my friends and family with Christmas cards this year.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Ulead DVD Movie Factory should do just what you want. Very easy to use, from capture to burn. If you haven't purchased a DVD drive yet, it may come bundled with some other software that would do the job as well.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
It depends on what you mean by dynamic menus. If you mean custom designed menus made by photoshop/after effects/video editing programs, then you'll want a more powerful DVD authoring program. (motion menus as you see on hollywood titles) Some of the prosumer software includes apples DVD studio pro, spruce maestro, Vegas DVD authoring, and the soon to be released adobe DVD authoring program. The best of the bunch is DVD studio pro by apple and probably Adobes venture into this arena. Spruce is dying out because it was bought by apple.

If you just want to make some simple DVDs of your kids, stick with the software that is under $500 bucks like the above mentioned Ulead.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doc, ADU,

Thanks. I really want these disks to look as professional as possible. I have the next 6 months to get it right. Any idea of what the price of Adobe will be?

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I use DVD complete. It's somewhere in the middle of the high-end products and the simple-but-barebones products.

It allows you to create overtures i.e. clips that must be viewed at the start of a DVD like the fbi warning on purchased dvd's or a company splash page on corporate videos. It has a slick chapter auto-generate function, it supports special features/extras, it has a number of pre-built templates that I think are pretty good and it allows you to build your own templates (although I've never tried it). It supports motion menus although I haven't used this and from the looks of it it isn't very customizable.

Forgot to mention... if you are going to import video it demuxes when you select the file to be imported. It's a pain in the rear to wait 10 mintues to import the video right in the middel of creating a dvd. Also, it creates and leaves files scattered in various directories... not a huge deal, just a bit of a pain.

Al

·
Registered
91 Posts
ADU Wrote:

"Ulead DVD Movie Factory should do just what you want. Very easy to use, from capture to burn. If you haven't purchased a DVD drive yet, it may come bundled with some other software that would do the job as well."

---------------------------------------------------------------

I tried Ulead DVD Movie Factory 2.0 to burn a show I downloaded using DVarchive 2.x from my RTV 5080.

- When I tried the regular DVD output option, the software

kept telling me there was insufficient space.

- When I set it to DVD fast editable, MF2 did

successfully burn the CD

Was that normal?

When I watched the DVD on a player, the audio and video were out of sync.

Questions:

1) Is there some configuration option in MF2 that I should have been setting to ensure proper a/v sync?

2) Or do I have to use some additional decoding software before subjecting it to MF?

3) Can someone explain the simplest way to get from RTV->DVarchive->PC->DVD without lots of steps? (I don't bother editing out extraneous things like commercials.)

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I use Pinnicle Studiio 8 (DV edition) Does everything you were asking abiout, including auto chagpters and motion video on the chaper boxboxes

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
goattee,

I've only used Version 1 of Movie Factory, and it seems pretty straightforward. You may want to look for updates to Version 2 on Ulead's site, and also try posting your questions in DVDRHelp.com or Ulead's forums (if they have any) where others may have more experience with some of the issues you mentioned.

I'm not familiar with RTV/DVarchive, but if the video stream was not captured with the correct specs and frame rate for DVD (30fps vs 29.976fps, correct field dominance, etc), then that could cause sync and video quality problems. (If you capture with Movie Factory using the correct template to match your output, I wouldn't expect that to be a problem.)

If you can't recapture the video with M.F., you may have to demux the audio from video, timestretch the audio to compensate, and then remux them. Again there may be tools and help for this at DVDRHelp.com. This is not really my area of expertise.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks for your response. It helps to have those specs for DVD. This demuxing stuff is beyond me-- but someone in another thread here suggested that I try MPEG2Cut for prepping the file before feeding it to MF2.

So I am trying that already. Now you've given me some specs I can try to modify.

I'll also try the web site you suggested.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Monkey_Man
I use DVDmaestro, look for it on kazaa. It's the best in the user friendly department.
Aside from being friendly, can it properly handle the audio/video sync from ReplayTV files?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RalphArch
I use Pinnicle Studiio 8 (DV edition) Does everything you were asking abiout, including auto chagpters and motion video on the chaper boxboxes
But can it handle the ReplayTV files and manage A/V synch?

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
I'm using Studio 8 and it does seem to have alot of flexibilty with DVD authoring. After working with the software to create DVDs from my Canon mini-DV camcorder I found one significant problem. Even when you use the highest quality settings, the DV to mpeg2 conversion leaves something to be desired. The video quality of the resulting DVD is noticably inferioir to the original DV tape. It's not that the DVD quality is bad or unwatchable, it's just that I thought I would be able to make DVDs with video quality equal to the DV tape. Does anyone have any other recommendations for high quality DV to MPEG2 encoding or is there no consumer software that can provide indentical or near identical video quality. Thanks.

Jay

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
TMPGEnc DVD Author is pretty good. May not have all the bells a whistles you want. You can download it for a 30 day trial.

ULead also has a 30 day trial download. Not real thrilled with the scene detection as it finds too many and crashes on both of my systems (Win2K P3 and P4).

Studio 8 is very iffy with me. It only does Stereo audio (No AC3), and sometimes gives very jerky playback.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jkaiser
TMPGEnc DVD Author is pretty good. May not have all the bells a whistles you want. You can download it for a 30 day trial.
Funny you should mention that. I saw your other thread and have already downloaded TMPGEnc Plus. I am currently encoding about 10 minutes of video to see how it compares with the orig. DV tape and with Studio 8's output. Studio 8 is a little flakey but it seems to have alot of functionality when it works. I only paid $15 for it so I won't be too disappointed if it doesn't work out.

Jay

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jerndl
I'm using Studio 8 and it does seem to have alot of flexibilty with DVD authoring. After working with the software to create DVDs from my Canon mini-DV camcorder I found one significant problem. Even when you use the highest quality settings, the DV to mpeg2 conversion leaves something to be desired. The video quality of the resulting DVD is noticably inferioir to the original DV tape. It's not that the DVD quality is bad or unwatchable, it's just that I thought I would be able to make DVDs with video quality equal to the DV tape. Does anyone have any other recommendations for high quality DV to MPEG2 encoding or is there no consumer software that can provide indentical or near identical video quality. Thanks.

Jay
I didn't notice any degradation (from DV tape) in my son's football highlight DVD nor wrestling team DVDs. (Perhaps you are losing quality (frames?) in the playback software?) So I looked in the Pinnicle forum and noticed a March 27 thread on topic in the Studio 8 disk forum (its a better place for Studio 8 specifics) - but overall its hard to believe that Pinnicle could screw up on a 3 to one compression - which is what the difference in file sizes was for me:

Quality is all in the eye of the beholder...

When you make a DVD the video data gets compressed roughtly 3 to 1 when using Studio's highest quality setting (8000kb/s), but the encoder is pretty good so you hardly notice. Depending on the quality of your source video you could drop the rate to half that and still get an excellent picture.

There are so many factors at work here it's impossible to give you hard numbers.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
I didn't notice any degradation (from DV tape) in my son's football highlight DVD nor wrestling team DVDs. (Perhaps you are losing quality (frames?) in the playback software?) So I looked in the Pinnicle forum and noticed a March 27 thread on topic in the Studio 8 disk forum (its a better place for Studio 8 specifics)
I started a thread a couple of week ago regarding this subject in the Pinnacle Studio 8 forum and received several replies. I was able to confirm that I am indeed using the software properly and getting the best video quality Studio 8 can offer. One reply stated that there will always be a loss in quality when going from DV to mpeg2
Quote:
The best possible archive for your DV tapes is, well, DV tape. Even with a better codec, you will still lose some quality in the DV-to-MPEG2 "rendering" process.
Well I guess I'll see how TMPGEnc Plus compares after I use it for awhile.

Jay

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jerndl
reply stated that there will always be a loss in quality when going from DV to mpeg2 Well I guess I'll see how TMPGEnc Plus compares after I use it for awhile.

Jay
I would be interested as well - I guess my scepticism is based on the fact that if you are using the high setting in Studio 8 its the same file size as any other authoring program on the DVD - they all have to compress at 3 to one or so (from the original 13 gig AVI files to 4.7 (or less for lower quality settings or longer DVDs) - and I don't think that its that hard to get a 3 to one compression right- maybe you just have great eyesight/perception that can pick out the compression degradation.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Quote:
Even when you use the highest quality settings, the DV to mpeg2 conversion leaves something to be desired.
The quality of the DVD/MPEG2 encoding can vary quite a bit from program to program.

Also, if you're not capturing in the precise format needed for DVD, the program may rerender/recompress the sequence before it's recorded, doubling the amount of loss (which also takes more time).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.