Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one more question for you guys.

There's a lot of options when it comes to DVD burners but I'm looking for the best economical choice. I will using my DVD burner for the usual HTPC uses including DVD-audio playback. If I had to give a price range I would have to say less than $200 but if there's a great one around $100 that would be cool.

Any suggestions? I have the nVidia 5200 video card if that helps in any way. I just don't know if all DVD burners are created equal or not when it comes to HTPC use.

·
Registered
435 Posts
BENQ DW1640

Yup...that's the one I'm going to use in my HTPC...I can't wait....

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I own the Pioneer A106, A108 and A109 and the NEC 3520.

I'd recommend both the Pioneer and NEC. Both have been great so far. But I mostly do backup's rather than playbacks.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
NEC 3540a here, works great and yes newegg has them real cheap. It would help if you said what you mainly want to do with it. If you mostly rip dvd's it is not the fastest at that by a long shot, but all around is a great performer. Excelent at reading dirty/damaged dvd's.

Troy

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
I've got an NEC as well...

The big question I have is:

Is there some way to improve dvd read recovery times after a scratch or something causes an interruption in playback?

This is the biggest flaw of dvd playback on my htpc compared with any $100 sony player.

For the best playback I must use DVD Shrink and copy my movie to the hard-drive. Otherwise I run the risk of a stalled movie and the least opportune time.

This problem is most obvious on older rental dvd's that have more scratches.

At the very least if there was some software that allowed microsoft windows to get less "stalled" by a frekin scratch it would be nice. Basically it just freezes WinDVD when a "stall" occurs and it takes 20-60 seconds to recover without a ctrl-alt-del and termination of windvd.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
don't get me wrong, the nec is fantastic from the standpoint of most reading, writing, and quietness...

this is a htpc dvd rom general problem which I wish there was a solution for.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have tested the following blank media in my NEC 3520 DVD writer...

Memorex DVD-R 8x MediaID= RITEKG05

Maxell DVD-R 8x MediaID= MXL RG03

TDK DVD+R 8x MediaID= CMC MAG E01 (000)

TDK DVD-R 8X MediaID= TTG02

I have not been impressed with the results so far.

I am saving HDTV transport stream data files so I typically write just one data 4.5GB file to completely fill a disk.

I am using Nero 6.6 to burn/verify and then use the Nero "Disk Quality" test to verify.

I have had no success with the Memorex media when writing 4.5GB files at 8x, 4x, or 2x speed. The Nero verify usually fails and then the disk quality test stops with a seek error. The Memorex media works OK if I reduce the file size to a single 3.1GB file per disk and burn at 4x speed.

The Maxell DVD-R media will usually not get a good Disk Quality result if burned at 8x but is OK when burned at 6x.

The TDK DVD+R and TDK DVD-R media works best for me.

I would be interested to hear about the results from other NEC 3520 users. Are my results consistent with other NEC 3520 users or did I get a lemon?

Thanks.

DonP

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
What system are you running it on, everything matters. I had trouble even with both my NEC nd-1100a and the new 3540a after a while which turned out to be just from a completely fragmented to hell hard drive. For a while I could only get 2.4x at best and then when I wiped the system and installed on a new 7200 rpm HDD it's been perfect. I use TDK 8x +r's also. Memorex has a poor history to begin with but I did use some 4x's that always only worked reliably at 2.4x even before my system was gummed up with fragmentation. Nero has a drive speed detector that may give you clues as to whether your hard drive is a bottleneck but also just try a defrag.

I have never had much trouble with lagging during playback on the 3540 no matter how awful a dvd looked. The 1100a had much more trouble with bad disks though. Some software players cache more data than others though, and that may have something to do with it, or there are always firmware updates you could try that may improve things like error recovery time. There are very detailed reviews on doom 9 I think that compare just about every aspect you could dream of including error recovery.

Troy

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDefDon

I am saving HDTV transport stream data files so I typically write just one data 4.5GB file to completely fill a disk.

I am using Nero 6.6 to burn/verify and then use the Nero "Disk Quality" test to verify.

I have had no success with the Memorex media when writing 4.5GB files at 8x, 4x, or 2x speed. The Nero verify usually fails and then the disk quality test stops with a seek error. The Memorex media works OK if I reduce the file size to a single 3.1GB file per disk and burn at 4x speed.

The Maxell DVD-R media will usually not get a good Disk Quality result if burned at 8x but is OK when burned at 6x.

I would be interested to hear about the results from other NEC 3520 users. Are my results consistent with other NEC 3520 users or did I get a lemon?

Thanks.

DonP

Go here for all dvd media concerns. This will answer all your questions on media:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDefDon

Thanks.

DonP

You can't store a 4.5GB file on DVD-R or DVD+R single layer discs. You can try overburning, but this will probably cause a verify error most of the time.

Per Monkey_man's link, the maximum capacity of - and + R's is:

The 4.7 GB discs = 4.38 GB = 4489 MB (for DVD-R) and 4483 (for DVD+R)

I use 4.35GB as the limit myself.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
The whole probelm is how it's measured gigabit or gigabyte. Gigabyte is two to the 30th power, or 1,073,741,824 in decimal notation and gigabit is gigabit is one billion bits, or 1,000,000,000 (that is, 10^9) bits.

DVD-5: single sided, single layer, 4.7 gigabytes (GB), or 4.38 gibibytes (GiB)

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I'm using an old TKD 404n; regular firmware upgrades, a great dual format single sided burner. Works very well with dvdshrink and Nero. Pretty forgiving on media - does as well or better with no-name OfficeMax disks as it does with Verbatims or even Sony.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.