AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone doing this? How are the results? I am looking at burning from a file server over a quiet, private 100bT LAN from W2K/XP shared drives. No wireless crap involved. Anyone doing this successfully today? Do you make a lot of coasters?

·
Registered
8,788 Posts
No problems, at least up to 2x burning. Theoretically, 100Mbps Ethernet can handle about 12MByte/sec, which should cover up to at least 4x burning, but I wouldn't push it due to network overhead or collisions.

Also, be sure to use only good 100Mbps switches, no hubs. Be sure all your Ehternet devices (NICS, switches, etc) are set for full duplex (simultaneous two-way) communication.

All DVD burners 2x and above I'm aware of have buffer-underrun protection now (Burn Proof, JustLink, other trade names), so making coasters is less likely now (but not impossible ;) ).

Heck, I record and playback HD streams from a myHD card to my fileserver, two floors up from the basement theater, through two 100Mb switches, and about 100ft of Cat 5e, smooth as silk :D.

Which reminds me, be sure to use good quality Cat5e or Cat6 cable, too.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I've had a NEC ND1100 (plus R) for about 6 months and all the DVDs I've burnt have been across the LAN from a Win2K srever with SW RAID-5. I use Nero, and I see the buffer drop low occasionally, from other network/server traffic, but I've never made a DVD coaster yet.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
No problems burning up to 4X over 100Mbps lan.

Jim

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool! I will give it a shot if the new burner I get gives crappy HD playback like the DW-400a I just returned. If I cannot get good playback, I will have to move it to an office PC and get another ROM for the HTPC, which means burning over LAN.

Thanks!

·
UHD Addict
38,766 Posts
1X burning is only 10.8 million bits per second. 4X would only be 43.2 mbs. There is still more headroom on a 100mbs network. I have a gigabit network at home and my throughput is around 450mbs .

The HD stream is only around 19mbs. This is very easily handled on a 100mbs network. I needed a gigabit network so I could quickly transfer my recordings on my HiPix card to my storage PC. Instead of taking 24 minutes to transfer a 1 hour HD show to a network drive it only takes around 8 minutes. The same amount of time to transfer 1 hour to a local drive.

My Home Theater

·
Registered
60 Posts
I burn DVD at 2X over a 100 mbit switch with no problems.

Depending on what software you use you can also have it cache the all data to the local drive before burning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.