AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a weird question, but I have searched all over and have not found an answer.

I have made a handfull of movie intros, movie trivia, etc slids and videos.

I am looking for software which can burn DVD's which will play in random order when they are played.

Is there any way to do this?

I want to get this project done for the SuperBOWL.

Thanks.

·
Registered
438 Posts
But I would assume that the player would have to randomize the order. Then you would burn it with any old burner software

·
Registered
779 Posts
My Pinnacle Edition 5 has an option in it's menu editor for "random playback of scene's", and I have seen this on a few discs (the DVD game "scene it", and Trivial Pursuit DVD edition come to mind).

I tried it a while back, and it works. The only catch is the "randomization" is only once per session. You need to remove the disc, and pop it back in again to re-randomize the scene selections - this seems to be how the games above work too.

edit: Adobe Encore DVD claims to have a "random" feature in it's documentation, but I don't own the program.

According to the DVD-Video spec, Random play & Shuffle (random play, no repeats) is a required feature....

DVD-Video players (and software DVD-Video navigators) support a command set that provides rudimentary interactivity. The main feature is menus, which are present on almost all discs to allow content selection and feature control. Each menu has a still-frame graphic and up to 36 highlightable, rectangular "buttons" (only 12 if widescreen, letterbox, and pan & scan modes are used). Remote control units have four arrow keys for selecting onscreen buttons, plus numeric keys, select key, menu key, and return key. Additional remote functions may include freeze, step, slow, fast, scan, next, previous, audio select, subtitle select, camera angle select, play mode select, search to program, search to part of title (chapter), search to time, and search to camera angle. Any of these features can be disabled by the producer of the disc. This is called "user operation control" (UOP). It's commonly used to lock you into the copyright warning or movie previews at the beginning of the disc, or to keep you from changing audio or subtitle tracks during the movie.

Additional features of the command set include simple math (add, subtract, multiply, divide, modulo, random), bitwise and, bitwise or, bitwise xor, plus comparisons (equal, greater than, etc.), and register loading, moving, and swapping. There are 24 system registers for information such as language code, audio and subpicture settings, and parental level. There are 16 general registers for command use. A countdown timer is also provided. Commands can branch or jump to other commands. Commands can also control player settings, jump to different parts of the disc, and control presentation of audio, video, subpicture, camera angles, etc.

DVD-V content is broken into "titles" (movies or albums), and "parts of titles" (chapters or songs). Titles are made up of "cells" linked together by one or more "program chains" (PGC). A PGC can be one of three types: sequential play, random play (may repeat), or shuffle play (random order but no repeats). Individual cells may be used by more than one PGC, which is how parental management and seamless branching are accomplished: different PGCs define different sequences through mostly the same material.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks I will look into those programs.

I have made some nice stuff and want to shuffle things up so it does not always look the same. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.