AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like a 5 disc changer. I'm going to replace my old Toshiba SD-3109 (DVD) and a pioneer PD-m423 (CD - old 6 disc cartridge). I need a player that has better CD sound than the pioneer and better interlaced output than the toshiba. I'm not an audiophile by any sense, it will be used 70% for movies and the rest music (mostly rock, r&b, and top 40 type stuff)

Also, its going to be used w/ a projector with in 6-8 months, so it also needs to have a good de-interlacing on the progressive output. The projector makes great pictures, but its a little weak in the de-interlacing area, so I was going to feed it a progressive signal.

I've narrowed my choices down to a few, but I would appreciate your input if you have had experience with these players or know of specific areas where they are weak or excel. Sorry for the long post, and I appreciate your help.

1) Nad T-571 or new T-572 - spec wise, they look the same

2)Pioneer elite Dv-c36 - I've heard no 3:2 pulldown- can anyone confirm...or does it matter?

3) Onkyo DV-CP500

4) Denon DVM-1805

5)Kenwood DV-5700

6) Yamaha DVD-C920 - specs look great....but has anyone used it..no online reviews

I'd like to spend no more than $700, Denon's DVM-4800 looks good, but $1199 is too much for me.

Thanks again

·
Registered
41 Posts
maneuen-

I'm looking for the same thing. My requirements are progressive scan, NO chroma bug, component outputs, and DVD-A capabilities.

From other threads I have read people were happy with:

Panasonic DVD-CP72K

Yamaha DVD C-920

Kenwood Sovereign DV-5700

I almost bought the Panaconic, but then I read another thread about how the Panasonic (and the Yamaha I believe) will not play DVD-A on newer DVD's. This is a big problem in my opinion, so I've been looking around for more info before I make the purchase.

Here's the thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=192460

The discussion involves the single player models, but I think the problem exists for both.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
It's not one of the 3 but Toshiba SD-4800 I have it and use it. Progressive Scan zooming with disapearinng zoom icon, and DVD-A for less than $200. :)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Get the Yamaha 920/6480. It's a great player, both in performance and build quality. It's retailing for $399 now too. If you've got the extra cash, the CX1 is a tank and might be worth the upgrade to you. It's dropped to a $999 msrp too. Have fun!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just bought the Kenwood DV-6050 from Onecall. It only cost me $330 shipped because there's a 10% discount now. Not a bad set of features for the price:

-plays DVD-Audio, CD, CD-R & CD-RW, and MP3 CD-R & CD-RW, VCD

-selectable interlaced/progressive-scan component video output

-Faroudja DCDi de-interlacer with 3-2 pulldown processing

-54MHz/10-bit video D/A converter

-192kHz/24-bit audio D/A converter

-bass management for Dolby Digital, DTS, and DVD-Audio

-optical and coaxial digital outputs for Dolby Digital/DTS/PCM

-disc exchange (change 4 discs while the 5th keeps playing)

-ability to random, shuffle, program CD tracks

The only reservations I had with the Yamaha was that some aren't able to play new DVD-A discs in multichannel hi-rez, for which there is no fix. And I'm not sure it's chroma bug free either.

·
Registered
459 Posts
does anybody know if the yamaha cx1 uses the panasonic mpeg decoder? I would like to have one modified for a customer by adding SDI, but it can only be done if the unit uses the panasonic mpeg decoder.

Anybody know?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Does anybody know where to buy the Yamaha CX1?

None of the online stores listed at the Yamaha site seems to carry it...?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have had the kenwood 5700 since feb 02. video end can not be beat.

adding to formats it plays dvd+r, dvd+rw. just purchased philips 985 and kenwood has played everything i have burned. good unit and now about $400 cheaper than what i paid for it.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Greetings,

I agree with bvance. I have the Kenwood 5700 for about 4 months now and absolutely love the picture. I had a Denon 3800 for a while and I think the Kenwood picturewise is as good. I got mine for under $800.00. Just be ready for a longer than normal layer change once in a while.

Dom

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I also have a Toshiba SD-3109 that I'm in the process of upgrading. I really like the two disc feature of the 3109 for a whole bunch of reasons. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any player with that feature, so I figured I needed a changer.

I started by buying a Panasonic CP72K (black), but was not prepared for how deep these changers are. It protruded beyond my other components and came very close to obstructing the glass door of the cabinet. Also, since the tray is wide, it requires the the door be fully open to open and close the tray. I could see one of our kids closing the door on an open tray (ugh!). Unfortunately, I think the CP72 is about as shallow as they come.

After seeing the great PQ of the CP72 but being disappointed with the quality of construction, I got a Panny XP50, which I have now. The construction seems to be much better, but the PQ is not as good, despite having the same mpeg decoder and Faroudja DCDi deinterlacer as the CP72/RP82.

Now I figure I'm still in the market for a well-made player that has a great picture. I wouldn't discount a changer, but I have to be really careful about the depth.

Does anybody know of a two-disc player or shallow (about 16" max) changer that has a great picture (prefer Faroudja or Silicone Image) and DD/DTS decoder onboard?

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
109 Posts
Changer with Faroudja DCDI, DVD-A (not SACD), DTS, burr-brown dacs, etc... and costs ~350 retail. DVD-C920 and the DV-C6480 are the identical unit, distributed through different channels. But dimensions (W x H x D) 20.875" x 8.875" x 19.875" .... because of tray not likely to find changers that are not deep... Nakamichi used to make a stacked (allowing for narrower size) changer system for CD's but was it was prone to breaking.

See:

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/DVD/DVDC920.htm

&

http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi...D00010DVD-C920

FEATURES

Yamaha patented PlayXchange

DTS and Dolby Digital Decoder

DVD Audio, DVD Video, VCD and CD Disc Playback Compatibility

VIDEO PROCESSING

Intelligent Progressive Video Output

Progressive Component Video Outputs

S-Video and Composite Video Outputs