AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend an inexpensive (~ $200) DVD changer (5, 6, 7 disc) that features random play for CDs across ALL loaded discs? I've run across a couple that claim random play but further investigation showed that it was only within a single disc. It's virtually impossible to tell from most manufacturer descriptions what it really does, so I turn to the fanatics here. :) Thanks for your help! This is for a secondary system, so I'm not terribly picky about the absolute best PQ, just want a single carousel player for DVD & CD.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
My old Sony 650 did this, so I'm guessing that the current version would, tho I don't know for sure. (On the other hand it was hard to get this model to play several discs in sequence. You had to program it.)

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It turns out that the Sony DVP-NC655 also has this feature; I picked one up a couple of days ago and verified it. Unfortunately it's going right back for replacement, as the unit makes a loud mechanical noise (and sometimes a high pitched whine) when spinning a disc. Still, assuming this is just a temporary problem, the NC655 allows you to play random CD tracks across one or all discs. The changer mechanism is definitely a little slow, but not terrible IMO.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok... on the Panny CP72; I actually have one in my main HT and had not been able to get it to do the Random play before, but persisted a little more and figured it out. The Sony does a much better job IMO; the CP72 takes 8-10 seconds every time it switches discs, seemingly determining disc type etc. even though on the display menu it shows you the disc type, if it has played that disc position and the drawer has not been opened. This seems like a rather lame design flaw. Add this to the slightly odd way you have to set it to do random play, and I'll definitely be hanging on to my older CD changer in that room. The Sony NC655P looks like it'll work ok as a combo DVD/CD changer for my secondary room.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.