AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've decided to dedicate a bit of my bonus money to a DVD changer.

WHY??? some of you will ask...

In the recent re-decorate that brought the behemoth entertainment center into my living room a couple of pieces of equipment didn't make the move. My Sony 300+1 DVD changer (too big) and my Sony 5-disc CD changer (no room). Losing the DVD changer was just fine by me, I got a RP91 to handle DVD duties. Losing the 5 disc CD was major though.

The answer is to sell off the Panny and get a 5 disc DVD changer. I tried a JVC and while it was a pretty nice player it didn't meet the requirements and went back to Sears.

I want...

Progressive scan (required)

DVD-A compatibility (required)

Random play across ALL 5 discs (required)

PQ equal to or better than the RP91 (required)

Under $1000 (required)

I've narrowed the search down to 2 that seem to meet all of the requirements.

(1) Yamaha DV-C6480 (~$600)

(2) Kenwood DV-5700 (~800)

Help me out here folks. I've searched here and other forums and read a lot about the 5700 but nothing about the Yamaha. Price really isn't the deciding factor but if I have a chance to NOT spend $200 that's just that many more DVD-A's that I can buy before the SO goes ballistic.

What are your thoughts???

Oh Yea... almost forgot... Please feel free to suggest other changers that meet the requirements. THANX!

·
Registered
404 Posts
I could be wrong, but the 6480 could be a mass market store line version of the Yamaha C920. I keep seeing references to the 6480 on some web stores, but have never seen it anywhere in person. On the other hand, the C920 is at some mid/high-end stores where I live.

The C920 meets all your requirements. One thing I'm not sure of is whether it can actually randomize mp3 files across all discs or even on one disc. It is significantly faster than the Kenwood 5700 on disc switching, though it's still slow in that aspect compared to even cheapo 5 disc CD changers. This has always been a thing that puzzles me with all DVD changers. I can understand if it's only an issue with recognition of whether it's a DVD, CD, or DVD-Audio disc, but it sounds like the trays don't even move that fast to begin with.

Anyway, I'm looking at changers because of shelf space once I replace my receiver for a pre/pro and additional 2 channel amp. A DVD-Audio/Video changer would replace both my old DVD player and CD changer on the shelf... Rambling...

The Panasonic CP72 is the other changer I'm looking at. If I don't like that or the Yamaha C920, then it might be more waiting:(

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I should have been a little clearer...

Randomizing MP3's is of no concern to me. I've yet to hear a MP3 disc that didn't sound just a little "off". (ducks and covers waiting for the flame-throwers)

My desire for randomizing is strictly for commercially produced music CD's. There are no CD-R, CD-R/W or MP3 discs in my collection. I very much doubt that there will ever be.

I've looked at the C920 too. I'm really confused by the comparisons between it and the 6840. Some of the specs seem to indicate that the 6480 is the better unit. The question becomes... If the 6480 is such a good player why hasn't anyone talked about it anywhere? It's almost as though Yamaha has been trying to hide it from public view.

OH NO... A little more digging and NOW I find that the DVD-CX1 can be had for right at my $1000 price point. Now what??? So much for those extra DVD-A's.

So now the list is

(1) Yamaha DV-C6480 (~$600)

(2) Kenwood DV-5700 (~$800)

(3) Yamaha DV-C920 (~$550)

(4) Yamaha DVD-CX1 (~$1000)

I'm actually leaning toward telling the SO that a 5 disc DVD changer that does what we want it to just doesn't exist... Yea Right!

·
Registered
404 Posts
One really doesn't exist.:( The Denon 4800 would have been almost it for me, but lacked randomizing across all discs (what's the deal with that???), and doesn't look as good as the Faroudja based players.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've decided to go ahead and pull the trigger on a Kenwood DV-5700. One of the upsides of buying from Crutchfield is their "30 day" in home audition policy. If it doesn't do what I want it to back it goes...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.