AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just added a Denon DVD 2910 to my NAD T753 receiver. Should I go digital audio out to the receiver, or analog out and let the receiver do the conversion?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the obvious route, of course. But I'm wondering if there are any general, guiding principles in making this decision? This is my first foray into DVD-A and SACD playback options.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
I think as a general statement, both DVD-A and SACD are both going to go through the player's DACs (except, perhaps, when using a player and receiver/processor with Ilink/Firewire??).

Then, depending on the receiver/processor, the DVD-A and SACD may go through the receiver/processor analog bypass or may go through the receiver/processor DACs too.

I think to answer your question in general though, one could assume the DACs with the better specs SHOULD sound better, but IMO, that's not necessarily the case.

It really boils down to what Steve said, you have to try it with your gear. And, unless you do some type of level matching, which ever way it's connected that sounds louder, probably will SEEM to sound better too.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doober
That's the obvious route, of course. But I'm wondering if there are any general, guiding principles in making this decision? This is my first foray into DVD-A and SACD playback options.
Other than firewire or HDMI v1.1 (DVD-A) or v1.2 (SACD) I'm afraid analog out is your only option for high resolution audio.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see that you are right about the analog-only output option for DVD-A and SACD. I guess now it's over to the discussion boards on interconnects.....

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Eh, i'd just get 3 pair of L/R RCA cables, like the blue jobbies at Best Buy.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Quote:
I see that you are right about the analog-only output option for DVD-A and SACD. I guess now it's over to the discussion boards on interconnects.....

Oh boy.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, so I've connected the 5.1 analog out for my first SACD purchase. It was cool, if not a bit underwhelming.

My next question is this: how is a 5 channel analog input any different than applying a signal processing like PLll, or whatever, to a 2 channel, digital input, to result in a 5 channel sound (albeit an 'artificially' created one)?

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Quote:
Okay, so I've connected the 5.1 analog out for my first SACD purchase. It was cool, if not a bit underwhelming.

My next question is this: how is a 5 channel analog input any different than applying a signal processing like PLll, or whatever, to a 2 channel, digital input, to result in a 5 channel sound (albeit an 'artificially' created one)?
I think you hit the nail on the head with the artificial stuff...

·
Registered
688 Posts
Quote:

The difference is when listening to high resolution audio via analog you are not adding any additional processing (PLII, etc) but hearing how the mixer intended. The extra channels serve as added ambience and help to better place the different instruments in the mix. These channels were mixed by the audio engineer and intended to be a certain way. This is different than your receiver dictating the mix using 2 channel via PLII.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.