AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious. If I do break down and purchase a DVD player, will the display fill the whole screen, or will I still get the annoying black bars?

I have been looking at the new sony 700. Anyone have an opinion on that?

Thanks

[This message has been edited by ********* (edited 08-23-2001).]

·
Registered
713 Posts
You tell the DVD player what type of TV you have (4:3 or 16:9) and it will output appropriately. That's how my toshiba 6200 works anyway.

Rich

·
Registered
351 Posts
It all depends on the source material. Some movies are filmed in 2.35:1, which is still wider than your 16:9 screen, so to view the entire picture, you will still have black bars on the top and bottom. If a dvd is encoded as anamorphic 2.35:1, your tv has an aspect ratio format called "zoom" (at least thats what it is called on my mits 46809) that will zoom in enough to get rid of the black bars (as well as a portion of the image on the sides). If the dvd is authored as non-anamorphic 2.35:1, your only option is to use the "expand" format, and you will still see the black bars on the top and bottom. There is no way around this.

Any 1.85:1 film should fill your entire screen, if it is not then you are using the wrong format setting on your tv ("standard" for anamorphic dvds, "expand" for non-anamorphic).

Most widescreen movies fall into one of the above categories. A few, however, are filmed in 1.66:1, which is not as wide as your tv. If a dvd is authored in 1.66:1 anamorphic, your standard setting will leave black bars on the sides of the screen. Again, the "zoom" setting will get rid of the black bars, as well as a portion of the image on the top and bottom. If a dvd is authored in 1.66:1 non-anamorphic, then you have 2 options, and neither of them is pretty. In "narrow" format mode, you will have grey bars on the left and right sides of the screen, as well as black bars on the top and bottom. The other option is to use the "expand" format setting, which will eliminate the black bars, as well as a small portion of the image on the top and bottom.

In the above descriptions, I have intentionally omitted any format modes which would stretch or distort the image, as that would be sacrilege.

edit: I don't know much about the sony dvp-700, so I can't comment. However, if you are going to use the progressive scan mode (which is recommended for best picture quality), it should be noted that your tv will not be able to change format modes when in progressive mode. The only way to work around this problem is to go with either the malata or the panasonic rp-91 dvd player, because they will automatically scale the image so that it fits. As far as I know, those are the only 2 players with that feature. Or you can (with any progressive scan player) swicth the player to interlaced mode, then you will be able to adjust the format mode. If the dvd is anamorphic, you can watch it in progressive scan, but you will still see black bars on a 2.35:1 movie.

[This message has been edited by mchurchm (edited 08-23-2001).]

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I am not finding many positive responses on the 700. I guess it is time to look elsewhere.

Also, I appreciate the confirmation that in "expand" format on some programs the black bars still exist. I was wondering if that was a product of my very below average DVD player. Based on your explanation I trust that most new films are being done in 1.85:1?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Your set ratio is 1.78:1 so movies that are 1.85:1 look right since your tv has about 5% overscan built in. Films with larger ratios like 2.25:1 or whatever will always have bars unless you do some stretch/zoom. The idea is for you to get the image the director intended (studios though often mess that up a tad). I have not read anything that said the industry is moving to 1.85:1.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Agreed with everything stated above, but also note that the bars, if any, will be significantly smaller on your 16:9 screen than they would be on a 4:3 TV.

·
Registered
395 Posts

Just to throw in my two cents here....

The Sony DVP-NS700P got a best buy rating from The Perfect Vision . I never look at my player, and only use a universal remote as an interface so ergonomics aren't as important to me. But it is interesting to hear other opinions on this player as I'm considering buying it soon.

Any problems with the picture quality? --ma

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.