AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a linux PC hidden away in a cupboard running an 8 diskraid, and a small windows XP machine in the living room connected to my projector to play the movies. The only problem is that when playing DVDs the drive is very noisy. Is there a way to install the DVD drive in the linux box, and then mount it on the PC? Would I have to manually mount/unmount at dvd change on the linux box too?

Anyone managed this?

Cheers

·
Registered
557 Posts
Most DVD's are scrambled using CSS. The procedure for unscrambling the content involves special calls to the DVD drive to obtain key data from a special area of the disc. I don't believe these calls will succeed with a disc that is mounted across a network. Some discs will play because they are not scrambled and some will play certain parts because the publisher has the choice of scrambling only some parts.

On the other hand if you are willing to restrict yourself to using the player from the open source project called VLC, it does work remotely. This is because it is not a licensed player and I doubt if it bothers to access those keys on the disc. It simply cracks the encryption on the fly. I have tested this briefly and it did work. The player and much more can be found at www.videolan.org.

Another possibility to consider is to transfer your DVD's to the hard drive of that server. Then you can use almost any DVD player program from across the network. You can even have different clients accessing the same DVD image at the same time but independently controllable (ie pause, rewind, step, etc). There are innumerable posts on AVS Forum describing the requirements and options for this setup.

·
Premium Member
4,954 Posts
I just rip the DVD to my server machine's HD and then use DVDStarter to map the network drive and launch TheaterTek (but it will launch anything to play it). It works fine, but using this method I have to rip the DVD first.

Cary

·
Registered
16,797 Posts
I can play DVD's from a dvd-rom drive to another PC over my 10/100 LAN .

-- [ although with some movies I do get a bit of stutter ] .

-- and not all players will allow you to map a network drive for playback .

--- Jason

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I mount /mnt/cdrom as a samba share under linux for PC access will removing the dvd and putting in a new one break this and require an umount, followed by mount??

I realise this is strictly speaking now in the wrong forum!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.