AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a nice Epson projector with a Sony Blu-Ray player and Onkyo receiver. Blu-Ray was beautiful, but cable TV and DVD would drop signal. Sometimes the audio drops out, sometimes video and sometimes both. Screen may go black and display “No Signal” or it may have varying amounts of snow and tearing.

I read HDMI does not certify 100’ cords, so I crawled through the attic again and replaced with a certified 50’ cord. This corrected the problem with cable TV however DVD signal still drops out. This will happen incessantly for a period, then not at all for several days. Problem occurs and does not occur on same DVDs. Friend claims it is HDCP conflict across the devices and DVD disc. (?)

The Blu-Ray player, receiver, 50’ cord, wall plate connector and projector constitute the series. I have tried a couple signal boosters and they had no effect. Is HDCP the problem? Can it be corrected by replacing any one of the components?

(Wife’s entire exercise collection is on DVD and they continue to sell new programs on that format…)

Thank you for any assistance provided. This situation is driving me insane and ruining our chance to enjoy an otherwise nice set-up.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Your symptoms don't indicate a HDCP problem. They indicate that the signal is marginal when you play a DVD. Are you using the BD player to play the DVD or a separate DVD player? If the latter, try using the BD player. Either way, make sure DeepColor is off if it is supported by the player.

HDMI cables can be certified high speed (Category 2) or standard (Category 1). You won't find a passive cable certified high speed longer than about 25'. You won't find a passive cable certified standard longer than about 45'. Just because a cable is called high speed or standard in an ad doesn't necessarily mean it passed certification. The only way to know for sure is to see a copy of the ATC certification report. None of this means you won't find a cable that will work for you. A number of folks here have reported being able to do 1080p60 at 100' with an appropriate cable. 50' with a 22-24 AWG cable is common as long as you don't turn on DeepColor.

You didn't mention how long the other HDMI cables in the system are. The total length from source to projector is important.

FWIW IIWY I would use a HDBaseT-based extender with Category 6 cable between the receiver and the projector.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply. I am using the blu-ray player for the DVD. I have not attempted to use a DVD player with HDMI output.

All of the cords except the 50' are less than three feet long.

I saw the sticky post on Cat6 cables after I posted last night. I will read up on this some more and most likely give it a shot. I do not relish getting in the attic again as it involves crawling across rafters in about 16" of space for 30'. The other two HDMI cables tested ok direct, but of course the problem is intermittent.

I will be out of town for a couple dyas, but will certainly check on Deep Color Output. Hope that does the trick!

If I go the Cat6 route, is there a quality of cable issue? I always run my own (otherwise). Have already burned through a commercial box and then some here, but don't want to get into the attic a fourth time...

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
There are differences between Category 6 cables, but they shouldn't make a difference at the length you are dealing with. Whatever the local home improvement store sells should be fine.

I know how you feel about slogging through the attic. I put down sheathing on top of the rafters anytime I have to do something in my attic. Makes life much easier the next time, particularly where the clearance is limited.

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
Is it possible to use existing cables as pull cords, to avoid the attic crawl?

Would fish stix/fiberglass rods or a fish tape help you avoid that attic? 16" would be a tight bend radius for rods, but not impossible. Use hooks at the ends, for catching one with another. Binoculars and a bright light may help.

+1 floor sheathing

·
Registered
7,240 Posts
I'm going to give a +1 that you may want to consider a HD-Base-T solution. Monoprice sells both a HD-Base-T set (about $200) and Cat-6-STP pre-terminated cabling which is ideal for this type of setup. You can easily run it 50+ feet and I've never run into an issue with their units that were working. (some were DOA and I returned them for working units)

I would strongly recommend that you may want to try (short term) running the BD player directly into the projector to see if a local feed still causes an issue, It should not and should help you feel better about the long run being the issue.

Now, you mentioned that you are using 3' HDMI cables from your sources... What are they plugged into? Typically you would go SOURCE->RECEIVER->DISPLAY... Is there not an A/V receiver between the source and the display?

If you are going source->wall plate->coupler->long HDMI cable->display, then you may be operating at a distance that could be 75+ feet in the world of HDMI due to the couplers which cause significant signal loss in your setup.

If, for whatever reason, this second scenario is the case, then I would go straight from the source to the projector without an intermediate wallplate connection. It just won't help things.

Finally... Make sure you are using good HDMI cables on the 'short' side. Cheap thin cables often don't deliver enough signal when they are then connected to long runs. So, your long run cable may be excellent, while the short run cable is causing you all of the headaches.

Finally (again) - You can also try lowering the output resolution from the BD player to 1080i for DVDs or even 480p (if available). This will bring the bandwidth way down. If the signal stabilizes, then it is likely a signal loss issue due to distance.

Welcome to the fun world of troubleshooting HDMI!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts