AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi-- Please pardon my ignorance , but I'm still not clear on the whole HDCP issue. Anyways, here is my situation and question: My PJ has a non-HDCP DVI input (which I currently use with a Direct TV HD box). If I bought a dvd player with an HDCP DVI output, would my PJ display my current dvds over the DVI ? I'm confused as to whether the HDCP is in the content or hardware or both. I know my STB works just fine and I can currently watch all of the HD channels on Directtv through DVI , EXCEPT the test channel that had the HDCP signal. Thanks a lot if you can clear this up for me :).

·
23,030 Posts
The only DVI output player(s) that will work is the Bravo D1 and maybe

the Momitsu(?) and other Sigma Design chip early adopters.

All others flag the DVI output for HDCP. According to the "rules",

all DVI output upscaling DVD players are supposed to flag the output for HDCP.

larry

·
Registered
636 Posts
Quote:
My PJ has a non-HDCP DVI input (which I currently use with a Direct TV HD box). If I bought a dvd player with an HDCP DVI output, would my PJ display my current dvds over the DVI?
Short answer: No

If you display is not HDCP compliant, you won't be able to use it with a HDCP compliant DVD. The contrary would be possible: HDCP compliant display and non HDCP compliant DVD.

HDCP is in Hardware. It functions as a kind of "Handshaking" process btw two devices. The source (DVD) only enables the DVI output (w/HDCP)after receiving the go ahead from the display device (w/HDCP).

If you have a DVD w/ DVI without HDCP it won't search for HDCP at the display device end so it won't matter if it is HDCP compliant or not

As Larry says, in your case you'll have to get a HDCP free DVD.

Hope this helps .

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys ! Its just as I suspected. Its interesting that for my Sat STB, the HDCP is in the content not the hardware. I would not have bought the PJ a year ago if I had known about this shortcoming.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.