1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stay away from this company.

I order 6 DVHS movies with the discount mentioned on this forum

a few weeks back. Totaling $169.

Ive been waiting shipment for weeks. I finally got a notice saying my card was declined. I contacted my bank and the card is fine,plenty of funds.

Today they charged my card 3 times for grand total of $500 plus trying to get the order to go through.

My bank said the money has been reserved and put aside per each charge for them and do not understand why their cc company cannot complete the transaction or why they are not getting the money.

Meanwhile Im talking to someone who has no clue whats going on and should not be working there in my opinion because she offers no service to the customer at all and is just as much in the dark as I am.

They now have $500 of my money tied up over a $160 order.

I told them to cancel my order ASAP.

It will be days before the money is released and my card given the charge back.

They will never get another dime of my money.

I dont know if I just had bad luck with this transaction or if others have had problems with them but the purpose of this thread is to serve as a heads up to those thinking of doing business with them.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
This may be a problem with the provider of their merchant account agreement, which would explain why the employee is clueless that this problem exists. I have placed 2 orders with them without a problem -- cheap prices and fast shipping.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I've had similar problems with DVDempire, my Credit card came up decline.... yada yada I ended up canceling the order.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
I've dealt with them lots of times and have never had any problems either. I guess its just the luck of the draw.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
I just received 4 D-Theater tapes from DVD Empire. They were shipped November 27th, and despite the Thanksgiving federal holiday, arrived in record time via Media Mail. Total cost to me, shipping et al, was $23.74 each!

BTW, I also received two D-Theater tapes from BestPrices.com, via Media Mail. They were shipped November 25th.

Life is good!!

Hey honey what should we watch tonight? Ice Age, Bone Collector, Cast Away, From Hell, High Crimes, Spy Game, or Kiss of the Dragon (which arrived Saturday)?

So many movies, so little time.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Perhaps you broke the cardinal rule, i.e. "Don't want them." If you really want them, The Matrix senses this, and it will destroy you via your own desires. You must clear your mind completely of desire for these items, and focus your energies in completely unrelated directions, and then their sensor sweeps will very likely miss you.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
I haven't ordered any DVHS tapes from DVDEmpire but I have purchased numerous DVDs over a two year period. Their service has been absolutely excellent. Not a single problem. In my experience, this company has been a stellar performer.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
problem is where else can you order at better prices than dvhsmovie

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
"They now have $500 of my money tied up over a $160 order.

I told them to cancel my order ASAP.

It will be days before the money is released and my card given the charge back. "

Alan- I hope you are not using any debit or VISA check card for this. If you are using a true credit card you don't have anything to worry about as they really don't have your funds. With the debit or check card, the way the current laws work, they can take all the money they want from your account(s) at the bank and YOYO to recover. There is legislation tied up in committee now to fix this but it has been an issue for several years now.

PSA- People, if you have " check "VISA" or debit cards, Never use them for transactions you may have doubt, like on line payments with unknown merchants on the internet. With credit cards, all you need to do is call the bank and contest the charge and then you will be given paper work to fill out to prove your claim but in the meantime you are not out the cash. AND, you will get use of your TRUE credit card back, immediately with the phone call.

As suggested by nationally famous Clark Howard-- If you have a check VISA or debit card and you qualify for a real credit card, destroy the fake VISA card as once you use it you authorize the bank to release your funds to anyone who requests it and they will, even if you tell them not to. Clark Howard suggests, canceling your account with the bank on any account you have used a check card and open another to purge the account number from use. He says that until legislation is passed this is the only safe haven for people with cash in the bank and using a check VISA or debit card from that account.

Alan, Sorry to hear about your troubles with them. They obviously don't know who you are!

·
Registered
18,899 Posts
They might release your money from the account, but according to Visa, on their check cards the liability is exactly the same as for their credit cards- $50. So it might take a while to clear up the problems, but eventually you'll get most of your money back.

As for DVDEmpire, I'm sorry you've had a bad experience with them. They're generally excellent, and maybe you just caught a CSR on an off day.

I just placed an order with them yesterday, and they honored an outrageous misprice on the Martian Nandiseco anime box set for $41 shipped. That was like $20 less than everywhere else, the MSRP is $100. They are also one of the few places to carry Hi-Res DADs for less than MSRP.

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
DaveFI- You will get different stories depending on which bank you use for the check card. The reason is there are no laws governing them right now. So it is up to your bank and what they want to do in each case. That is why I and the financial experts all say- YOYO, or You're on your own. At least with credit cards, you do have that $50 maximum liability because there are Federal laws that guarantee it, not just your banker's word. Given a choice- I prefer to have the other guy out the cash, not me. And that choice is mine to make. As Clark Howard say's, anyone who uses a check card for internet transactions is asking for trouble.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I started using DVD Empire regularly for preorders a few months ago, and I've had no problems. Even with stardard USPS shipping, my DVDs arrive fairly quickly.

I think every retailer, online or otherwise, has nightmare stories like this one associated with them. I used to think DeepDiscountDVD was perfect until they screwed up a big order of mine. Happens to the best of them.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Me too!

·
Registered
888 Posts
FWIW, I just got 6 Dtheater titles - cast away, kiss of the dragon, ice age, high crimes, from hell, & planet of the apes from dvd-empire at an average price of about $23 shipped with no problems at all That's my 2nd bulk dtheater order from dvd-empire, both went smoooth and cheap. Now if they would just expand their selection...

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
I'm telling all my relatives to give me DVD Empire gift certificates since that's easier for them to do, and it can be done from a distance, and its easier than getting them to buy me a Vision One.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.