AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently for the first time I set my DVD player (Toshiba) to the enhanced black setting and with anamorphic DVDs found that I liked the deeper black color and improved shadows. I found I had to set my brightness settings up a bit so that the overall picture was not too dark but even after this change the blacks and shadows were still improved.

I also found the bars on 2.35:1 DVDs stayed darker. What are the pros and cons of the enhanced setting and why are two settings in the US even available?? How have you set your DVD players and what are your experiences with this? :D

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
Quote:
What are the pros and cons of the enhanced setting and why are two settings in the US even available?? How have you set your DVD players and what are your experiences with this? :D [/b]
The enhanced black setting lowers the blackest black to a 0 IRE value as opposed to the traditional NTSC setup of 7.5 IRE. But as you discovered, you then need to adjust the brightness to raise the black level up a bit. Ordinarily, I'd say you should not notice a change in your monitor/projector ability to handle "black" with this adjustment, although I suppose it is possible there could be a gamma shift at work. Your observation of the "black bars" being darker is an interesting one and something I will have to check out for myself.

The only negative I can think of, would be when you switch to a video soure that is still presenting a signal with 7.5 IRE setup, which are all most all other sources. Those sources will be displayed with brighter blacks because of your brightness adjustment.

If you have the time perhaps you could test again, the relative shadow detail with/without black enhancement, to confirm your observations..

RJ

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.