AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the old Dvd essentials but not the new one for basic calibration with a dlp.

Which is the best one to use now a days? The Dvd Essentials or avia? I am using a Infocus 7200 dlp.

Is there another one that people are using???

Which one has more calibrations that I can play and adjust for real results???

Larry

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
AVIA gets more mentions on this forum and its moving bars for setting black level and contrast are easy to use and effective. I find the color calibrations with the three filters easier to use as well vs. the "Color" and "Tint" test chapters in DVDE.

Dan

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
DVE doesn't have the patterns needed to do a greyscale calibration. Otherwise it has great patterns and great tutorials. The drawback is that it is very hard to navigate the disk to find the patterns. Trying to locate the patterns is an exercise in frustration for most folks.

Avia is much simpler to use. It also has high quality patterns and tutorials. It has the patterns needed to do a greyscale calibration. It is more expensive.

Avia Pro is unequaled, but very expensive.

I have Avia and DVE. I never use DVE, anymore. I actually prefer some of DVE's patterns, but it is way too frustrating and time consuming to find them.

Glenn

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've never seen Avia.. I do own PAL DVE and paid a premium to get it (overseas)...

I think it's overrated and not worth half the price I paid.

For one thing, the filters that come with are not accurate and are hence useless (although, green one was OK as I recall).

One pattern I wanted to have was red, green and blue sweeps (in terms of luminosity) all on one screen so I can see what kind of adjustments I needed to make to have them follow each other! Isn't this some sort of basic requirement? Well, DVE don't have it.

It has a nice but useless video of a space shuttle though.

It's probably OK for Dolby set-up... But, the Video in the "DVE" is what I got it for.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
This has been covered a lot.

The gist of what I always say is this:

Firstoff I recommend STRONGLY a test disc of any sort.

THX discs are a decent temporarily. But proper DVE/Avia is in order.

Avia is way easier to use, I use it almost exclusively. DVE pretty much gathers dust except for the one reason that I purchased it for, which is inclusion of BTB and WTW data (235). I use this to test things on my HTPC to see whether I am preserving or clipping this data, etc. But for calibration, it is avia exclusively.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex
For one thing, the filters that come with are not accurate and are hence useless (although, green one was OK as I recall).
Interesting. How can you tell?

Quote:

One pattern I wanted to have was red, green and blue sweeps (in terms of luminosity) all on one screen so I can see what kind of adjustments I needed to make to have them follow each other! Isn't this some sort of basic requirement? Well, DVE don't have it.
Is Chapter 14-8 through 14-16 what you're looking for?

·
Registered
496 Posts
I still don't understand how DVE is so difficult to navigate. Agreed, the menu ordering isn't the most user friendly, and it did take me several tries to get at the right signal pattern for tweaking initially, but I find it quite easy to use after that. And from what I've read, the video image transfers are the highest quality availabe on current DVD standards.

Having said that, I hope BlueRay wins the battle, and that we get HD versions of Avia or DVE on DVD soon!

Speaking of HD. DVE is also offered in D-VHS HDTV versions for those lucky *#&(*#%* out there, :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.