AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a di-614+ with the new firmware and (capable of same speed) dlink cards runniing in my home network. The thing is, I am having trouble getting very good navigation speeds trying to look for files. I have yet to try to watch a ripped DVD, but I have tried high bitrate mp3 that stumble. I have all units running at 11 mbps 4x mode= 44 mbps. This is almost equivalent to the wireless g in normal mode. Now I know I have seen threads that talk about it working for those at 54. What am I doing wrong. I am pulling files from my shared folder on the laptop and the HTPC in my bedroom. I just built ny server/gamer and it is employing a raid 0 config with 160 gigs. The transfer rate on this is about 72 mbps acording to sisoft sandra. I am running it wired direcly but have yet to get a working 9800 pro -rma'd. I guess my question is, can I run dvds streaming over the server with my wireless 44 mbps connection to my HTPC in my bedroom. Before, the source was the 4200 rpm drive in my lappy. Now that I think about it, I am wondering if that was forcing the slow speeds. Hmmmm. I can watch anything on the lappy but that is not where I want to store it, nor the HTPC in the bedroom. Some advice is appreciated greatly:confused:

·
Registered
232 Posts
G barely works as it is. It only works with near perfect signals too. B even at 4x is not going to even touch G. It's 44 vs 54. That's only ten different. But those numbers don't really matter. They really don't mean anything. It depends on the signal, your house, and the manufacturer of your hardware. You won't be able to get DVD's to stream on that. You'll need to go to G.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well he di-614+ was rated the highest among most tested in a recent

pc magazine review. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1275709,00.asp

I have absolute full signal strength. They are 10 feet apart through a floor. Something tells me I am going to have to go wired, dang it!!!

·
Registered
232 Posts
It's still not as fast as G. Wired is the best solution, but G will work. It works for me. It works for others. (I still need to try the HD Coral Reef though. It may not work.) I would use wired if I could, but I can't therefore I use G and don't have any problems unless the signal is weak. B just plain won't work because G is barely fast enough as it is.

·
Registered
16 Posts
here's some food for thought:

a ripped DVD (vob format so high quality not avi) requires roughly 10Mbps (or 10% of a 100Mb standard NIC).

802.11g is SUPPOSEDLY capable of 54Mbps or about 5 times 802.11b (yes there is also the 108Mbps but that's not a G standard that's a supposed "feature")

Now in most cases G even at full signal strength won't go much higher then 15-20% of it's tops speed, 802.11b although it was rated at 11Mbps would also on average go around 2-3Mbps. The 4x is actually not part of the standard but and offchute "feature" to make 802.11b look better and in most cases your transfer rates won't really gain much more then a couple of Mbps.

Now as for your problem you're running b and regardless of what super feature you are trying to use wireless b is not going to provide a sustainable 10Mbps stream so playing DVDs from there is asking for frustration. I guess it could work in a perfectly clean lab environment maybe...

G is definitely capable of doing it but even then wireless is inherently succeptible to "hicups" and some packet loss can still occur (I tried and after too much screwing around I went back to wired because it's faster, more relliable and cheaper).

Oh one final thought your laptop's HD is most definitely not your bottle neck.

hope that help in some twisted way.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmmmm. OK I see at b speeds I am getting around 6.4 mbps according to the pc test. The other "g" products were getting around 20 mbps. That would be twice what is needed in perfect conditions. I guess I will try it and see. I seriously doubt it will work now, but I can always hope. I guess that the wireless HTPC will have to become wired. The main point for all of this is to try to save dvds from the mire of my son's 3 year old miscues. Oh well such is the fun of whole house av....

·
Registered
850 Posts
I had a DI-614+ setup and the corresponding DWL-520+ (or so, I forgot exact model) - even with the 4X firmware update, the most you can get out of them is 1.2 MB/s (or damn close to 11 Mbps). This is with Excellent Signal strength.

That will give you borderline speed against running a DVD. Including network overhead, and the fact that the application is not taking into account streaming (it assumes it is local, so no buffering), it will be jerky playback.

I have since moved on to the D-Link G setup (DWL-620), with its corresponding card, capable of 2X mode. Even though it is advertised as 108 Mbps, I'm getting only close to 2 MB/s (16 Mbps) throughput - this is with Good signal strength. I'm assuming if I can get to the Excellent range, I might get to about 3 - 3.5 MB/s. In any case, playback of DVD is excellent as it is today - I have ISOs on my media server and actually just share that and use Daemon Tools on my HTPC to play DVDs. Works perfectly.

Haven't tried HD stuff yet, so hopefully I can get there :).

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let me know how hd works on a wireless setup. There has to be some kind of software we can use in our networks that would buffer just like most online sources.....just a thought.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.