AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been running a P4 2.0 with 512mg of DDR RAM, XP and recently swapped out my Ti4600 graphics card with a Radeon 9500 (Catalyst 3.2 drivers) because I don't game and needed Radeon support for the FusionHD card that I've havn't purchased yet. Right about the same time I swapped cards (and I don't have the old one anymore to compare) the dvd player would freeze pretty regularly. I've tried different discs and the problem is still there. My question is-could it have anything to do with the Radeon card/Catalyst drivers? Has anyone else experienced this problem? The HD clips play extremely well (.tp, .ts, and wmv clips using various players) but the dvd playback (lack of) is a bit of a mystery. Any help here would be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
249 Posts
Actually I'm noticing this problem lately too, and it wasn't a problem before. I'm not sure what the deal is. I was running a DVD with DTS-passthru to the SPDIF port and freezing like crazy. Only noticed since I switched to cat3.2, maybe that's something to do with it. Although I'm running at 1080i now so I believe it's forcing VMR and that could slow it down.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well...I spent quite a bit of time last night trying to track this problem down. I tried different catalyst drivers to no avail and finally went into my device manager and found that DMA was not selected for the secondary IDE channel (my dvd rom drive). I changed the transfer mode to "DMA if available" but my current transfer mode stayed at PIO instead of switching over. Unfortunately I don't know what the settings were before switching video cards, but I had no problems playing dvds before and I suspect that PIO mode isn't enough to support dvd playback at the resolutions I'm running. Anybody else got any ideas? I checked the manual that came with my dvd drive and it says it supports Ultra DMA mode 2, but I can't seem to get my pc to acknowledge this fact!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Uninstall the IDE channel that your DVD ROM drive is on and reboot. It will put it back in the DMA mode.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK-(still feeling like an idiot) that did the trick as far as DMA mode. Things are better (I think) but still freezing up. VERY frusterating!!

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I had that happen also and it turned out that my DVD drive was going. I replaced the drive and now all is well

·
Registered
529 Posts
When you say the "dvd player would freeze", do you mean the application locks up with no message, or do you mean the entire system locks up with no message?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The application freezes with no messege. I can use other apps (IE for example) but they are very (extremely) slow. If I use the windows task manager to close out the dvd player, it will do so after about five minutes. I do have two different dvd players on my system, and both do exactly the same thing. CPU usage stays consistant around 8-12%.

Driving me nuts (!)

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
What software are you using for DVD's? Have you tried using different players?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes-I have two different players-theatertek and msi (came with the Ti4600 video card that I recently swapped out for the radeon 9500)

·
Registered
529 Posts
If the system were idle, one would expect the CPU utilization to be around 1-2%; if the Player were looping, a 100% CPU would be expected. Have you any tasks running at higher than normal priorities?

Any chance you're running ZoneAlarm?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nope-not even sure what ZoneAlarm is...

I've decided to yank the drive out on monday and try a different one. I'm also upgrading the MB on the same day as I've got a new case coming. I'll report back in a couple of days and see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Ditto with 9700 and Cat 3.2 driver. Whole system just locks up with TheaterTek. Its also driving me crazy. I run it on a WinXP 3.0 ghz 1 gb ram system and also have powerstrip running as well. And, using the Windows error detection, I do see it keeps saying problems with graphic display adapter. (ATI being notorious for their driver problems). I can't help but blame ATI for alot of this headache. At any rate I'm going to try WinDVD plat and see if I have further problems.

I would suggest that if you do not resolve your problems with your upgrades, you also try a new software DVD player.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I just noticed you were using TheaterTek and recently upgraded to catalyst 3.2 as well. I find that to be more than just a coincidence that we are having the exact same system lock up problems only when viewing DVDs.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
I'm using TheaterTek 1.5 with a 9500pro and Cat 3.2 drivers with no problems.

Sounds like a drive problem....or perhaps a power issue. Those 9700 cards draw a lot of juice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.