AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Onkyo Sr-Ht800 system and have questions about the proper hookup of my dvd player.Right now I have a hdmi cable running from the dvd player to the tv and rca's running from the dvd player to the reciever.My system just dont sound right,I guess Iam really not getting the Dolby experience at all with my present hookup.

I think that I should run the hdmi to the reciever and then run a hdmi from reciever to tv.Does this sound correct???

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
What DVD player do you have? If you have a digital audio out on it, run that from the player to the receiver. IIRC, the receiver only does video over HDMI.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a Sony and it does have the digital/optical out jack.So I just run the optical from the dvd to reciever? I sure hope it is that easy! LOL

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Yes, it's that easy.

FYI, you'll then have to select the digital input on the front to set it up with the selection. Meaning, if you want the optical to work with the "DVD" selection button on the remote (and on the front of the receiver), select that, and then push the digital input to cycle to the optical (I think there are two optical choices, depending on which input you use.) Then when you hit "DVD", it'll pick the optical coming from the DVD player. Same thing with the coaxial inputs.

You can run HDMI through the receiver if you want (and if you have multiple sources, it'll help switch them) or keep it direct to the TV. With that Onkyo receiver, it's up to you.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used the digital coax cable.Is there any difference in sound quality between the coax and optical cables?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
For all practical purposes, no.

On paper, coaxial is more sturdy (if you kink an optical, it's ruined), while optical is immune to RF interference, but most coaxials are shielded well enough. And most people that damage an optical are using a neanderthal installation approach.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts