AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in replacing my existing receiver (Sony STRDE935) for a few reasons.

1. Space (vertical space)

2. Lack of S-Video inputs and switching.

3. Lack of digital audio inputs. (Directivo + maybe an OTA HD Tuner or DVD Recorder in the future)

4. Remote control that drives me nuts, and drives her even more nuts.

So I'm interested in a receiver with an integrated DVD player, which solves the stacking issue. My TV is conventional S-video input only for now. I hope for a plasma in the next year or so, but I'm not terribly concerned with HD stuff. Progressive DVVD output would be nice though. I suspect everything else will eventually be DVI anyway, so no point in worring over that now.

I've looked at the Sony integrated ES models, the JVC and an Onkyo. Don't really know which one to pick. The JVC is the cheapest, by a long shot. The Onkyo looks prettiest but I don't know much about it. The Sony's look nice but the remotes definitely don't run the Tivo and the optical digital ins aren't assignable.

Any other makers of these DVD/Receivers?

Any comments on Onkyo? I understand they are supposed to be a good brand, but I know little about them.

Power-wise all of them would do the trick for me. I'm looking for a unified S-video switching solution and easy remote integration for now, with some nod to the future as far as upgrading to HD and flat panel someday relatively soon.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
The Sherwood Newcastle VR-758 is quite nice with progressive scan. NAD makes one with no progressive, but great sound, I think they have a $200 coupon on their website last I looked - www.nadelectronics.com. Rotel just announced one for $1500, so I'm assuming it will wash your car when it comes out.

·
Registered
12,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nuke
I'm interested in replacing my existing receiver (Sony STRDE935) for a few reasons.

1. Space (vertical space)

2. Lack of S-Video inputs and switching.

3. Lack of digital audio inputs. (Directivo + maybe an OTA HD Tuner or DVD Recorder in the future)

4. Remote control that drives me nuts, and drives her even more nuts.

So I'm interested in a receiver with an integrated DVD player, which solves the stacking issue. My TV is conventional S-video input only for now. I hope for a plasma in the next year or so, but I'm not terribly concerned with HD stuff. Progressive DVVD output would be nice though. I suspect everything else will eventually be DVI anyway, so no point in worring over that now.

I've looked at the Sony integrated ES models, the JVC and an Onkyo. Don't really know which one to pick. The JVC is the cheapest, by a long shot. The Onkyo looks prettiest but I don't know much about it. The Sony's look nice but the remotes definitely don't run the Tivo and the optical digital ins aren't assignable.

Any other makers of these DVD/Receivers?

Any comments on Onkyo? I understand they are supposed to be a good brand, but I know little about them.

Power-wise all of them would do the trick for me. I'm looking for a unified S-video switching solution and easy remote integration for now, with some nod to the future as far as upgrading to HD and flat panel someday relatively soon.
Though they are 2 components, the Harman/Kardon DPR 1001 and DVD 101 when stacked is the same size as the AVR 525 AVR by itself. 50W x 7, DTS ES, DD EX, and S-Video, HD Component Video switching, 6 digital inputs and LCD remote control. Alot of features and performance in a small footprint.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked at the Sherwood, not enough inputs, appears to lack s-video.

The Nad L70 looks interesting, but I can't tell from the specs how many inputs it has. It does seem to have progressive from the reviews anyway.

The DPR1001 doesn't really gain me any ground, it's nearly 5 inches tall and lacks an internal DVD player.

How about the Pioneer Elite EX-500, it's a seperate DVD player, but stacked together, they're still quite slim? Looks like 6x 100 watts.

I kind of dug the Pioneer ES-1000DV system too, though I already have speakers and plan to in-wall at some point.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm also looking to replace an old Sony receiver for space and lack of digital audio inputs. I have been looking at the Sony AVD-C70ES or AVD-C50ES, anyone have one?

One concern I have is that the impedance per speaker is 6 ohms. Not knowing until I can check, but I believe my current system may be 8 ohms. Would I be able to connect 8 ohms speakers to a 6 ohms system?:confused:

·
Registered
119 Posts
joeinma,

Head over to audiocircle.com and in their 2-Channel area there is a thread on the Sony all-in-ones. They really like the sound (I heard a C70 recently and was very impressed--and now interested in the "digital" thing). Your speakers should not be a problem.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked real hard at the Sony ES DVD receivers. There's been a recent price drop, but I have to say they are still a bit expensive for what you get.

The input flexibility and the remote still kind of turn me off though, so I'm still shopping around.

The speaker impedance isn't a problem. The amp will produce slightly less power with 8 ohm speakers. The rule is you can always put a speaker with a higher impedance than the amp says, but not a lower one.

4-ohm speakers might pose a problem. Although in reality, they'd likely work fine unless you like to really crank it a lot.

·
Registered
119 Posts
nuke--I was just responding to joeinma's question. I agree that since you are looking for more connectivity, the current Sony's might not fit the bill. I'm actually in the same camp and am hoping the new models (500 & 700) improve on this. Otherwise I'll go with separate units. I think the interest with the Sony's is coming from the audio side with an all digital path for digital source material. One day they'll get DVI at this level. :D

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thanks for the responses regarding the Sony ES series, now I just have to hit up my father-in-law who is a business manager at a local TV/stereo/appliances store for a good discount!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.