AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in the Denon 2310ci or 3310ci to interface with a Sony 52" XBR6 LCD. I will use HDMI connections throughout.

Assuming I purchase a "source direct" type of BD player (such as the OPPO BDP-80), what will eliminate judder from DVDs?

I assume that the ABT-2010 can easily turn the raw 480i from the DVD into a 1080p/60 stream. But that would still have 3:2 frames in it from most movies.

1) Can the ABT-2010 in the 2310ci Denon automatically output 1080p/24 in this case (the TV supports it) and thereby eliminate judder? I don't want to buy anything more expensive than the 3310ci; I'm assuming that, e.g. a 4310ci doesn't do more with the ABT processor than the cheaper receivers.

or 2) Will the TV take the 1080p/60 stream and use Cinemotion to convert to a judder-free 120 Hz? (I'm confused about Cinemotion since Sony's features don't always operate under all conditions).

or 3) The OPPO BDP-83 supposedly can output 1080p/24 for DVDs, should I purchase that player instead? There are reports the 24p feature is flaky.

I own the XBR6, still need to purchase an A/V receiver and a BD player.

Thanks for any help or advice.

·
Registered
22,521 Posts
AFAIK, only the Oppo BDP-83 and the stand-alone VP from DVDO can perform reverse telecine on DVD for 24p output. (with the ABT processing) That said, many DVDs simply are not mastered well enough for the process to be "perfect", and there are artifacts to be dealt with. Bottom line, it's not worth chasing after 24p for DVD.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Maybe look for an AX2 HD-DVD or another highly regarded player in this area if your really after 1080p/24 output from your SD-DVD's.

My Panasonic BD35 BD player is not nearly as good as my XA2 HD-DVD player at it. The XA2 seems stellar at it as long as the DVD is film based. Also, beware, you will have horrible judder on this if this is attempted on DVD video source no matter how good the processing is.

Are you sure your not experiencing that? Video on DVD should never be output as 1080p/24 in my opinion at least. What you get is horrible judder for lack of a better word for it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts