AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having previously owned a LD Player w/Karaoke, it never seemed to have caught on enough to make it a commercial success. There weren't many LD Karaoke Players and the Karaoke Discs were limited or harder to find. They were mostly just a hit amongst VJ's. The manufacturers' efforts to bring about DVD Karaoke seems to be a very lame effort, in deed. Having the poor taste of owning a Panasonic Karaoke DVD Player, I have seen an even weaker attempt at bringing this format to fruition. I own a total of 1 Karaoke DVD title. As a matter of fact, thats the only DVD Karaoke title that I have ever seen in a store. (Neil Diamond Hits).

I've actually seen alot more of them on eBay, then anywhere else. Still, the silent majority, doesn't even know that such a thing even exists. I'm interested to find out what you guys think about the Karaoke phenominum. Do you own any of this equipment? What are your feelings about it? Is anybody selling any of this in LD or DVD format? I have a Sampson dual diversity wireless mike with a Shure head on it, which works very nicely for this purpose; its just that the discs are so very limited in numbers. Add this to the fact that I can't sing anyway. Why do I even bother? Nobody else seems to give a damn about Karaoke, unless you are in a Sushi Restaurant.

·
Registered
97 Posts
try

http://www.karaokecenter.com/software.htm

and/or search on www.google.com, dvd karaoke for more suppliers.

since dvd karaoke is pretty new when compared to ld, quality is probably not up to par yet. also, you really have to consider the producers of the dvd karaoke as well. cheaper brands tend to offer lower quality disks. by this i mean lower quality sound, vocals, home-video like "scenes". pioneer and megadisk seem to be near or at the top at this point. i'm looking into some playboy karaoke dvd's as well ;).

FYI, i'm using my skyworth dvd player and a mic mixer.

·
Registered
289 Posts
You're basically looking in all the wrong places.

Try looking in some of the Chinese owned audio video stores. Many have stocks of 1000's of LD and 100's of DVD karaoke disks.

There are also places on the web where you can order these from. Just run a search through Yahoo.

Karaoke has actually been pretty successful in the Asian American market. That's why you have to goto a Chinese owned store or any other Asian American audio/video store. For a period of 10 years, karaoke was the "IN" thing among many Asian communities. In some places...its still the "IN" thing.

KTV is also great for group parties and socials. That's what originally started the craze in Japan.

Good luck w/ your search.

Dizzy

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately, most of the Karaoke DVD's & LD discs that I have found on ebay and other sites seem to have songs or compilations of material that just doesn't interest me (except for 1 or 2 songs, maybe). They appear to be put togeather by DJ's or VJ's that are playing music at weddings, or Bar Mitzvahs, or teen parties. Not the material that I'm looking for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.