AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some way of marking my DVD's since I bought a Panny e80. Magic Markers look like you know what. Epson has a printer but requires special disks. I have come accross a Casio CW50 and 75 label printer that prints right to the DVD. Won't work on inkjet DVD's so should work on most others. Anyone out there using one or have any feedback. It's kind of simple but still a few steps up from the sharpie.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Epson has a few that give great results. What "special discs" are you talking about? Only thing special about them is that they have an inkjet printable top which you can find at lots of places online for $1 each. I have the Epson 960 which is the most expensive one but you can get cheaper ones for about $150. The results are amazing, much better than what that crappy casio will give.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I also use the Epson 960 which is fantastic. You can import picture files and other graphics stored on your computer and customize designs. The software allows you to really turn them into works of art, if you are looking for a new hobby! On the other hand, there are lots of ready-made templates if you want to design quick-and-easy. And yes, discs readily available at good prices, no different than prices for non-printable discs, if you look online.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Gun4u,

May I inquire as to the Ritek's--how much of the surface is printable?

Have noticed most of "white printable" media to be "non printable" on the center hub? I have the Epson 900 and have tried the memorex printable cdr's with excellent results. Just wondering if anyone makes "full faced white printable dvd media"?

Thanks in advance for any helpful in-site.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I'll make some full-face BeAll pictures later tonight and post'em here

·
Registered
86 Posts
I love Beall's printing surface as well but I am now finding that hundreds of my previously burned Beall discs are giving me errors and cannot even be read completely in my A06 DVD-R drive. I get read errors and non detectable info at the 4 GB mark. A lot of time and money wasted now. My old Riteks are perfectly detected and read in my players so back to Ritek I go.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Is there any problem with printing the DVD's BEFORE burning them?

Where do you get the ready made templates?

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
I would print after burning. Why waste ink if you get a coaster? You have already wasted the disc, so I say cut your losses early and print after burning.

Most inket printers reccommend that you don't play the discs for 24 hours after printing also.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Hi, bigdog9586,

I have an Epson R300 which I love, and I have a Casio, which I also like a lot.

The Casio helped me with the several hundred silver DVDs that I'd already had in my collection before switching to the white print-ables. With the right choice of fonts and graphics, the Casio is capable of producing a very professional looking DVD.

But if I were starting out from scratch, the artist in me would go with the R300, because one's imagination is the only limitation with this type of printer.

I'm sorry to hear about SergeantD's problems with the BeAll discs. This is something we should monitor very closely.

So far, the Riteks are working well on my burners, but my E-80 isn't very fond of them. I find the varying rate of compatibility very frustrating and alarming.

This is why I'm storing my serious stuff on RAM. So far I have never experienced a bad Panasonic DVD-Ram disc (white, no cartridge).

Happy Recording & Printing!

Peter M

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
I just got my R300 today and so far I love it. Made a backup of super troopers, scanned in the DVD and it looks great.

So far, I like this Epson printer and have purged the last HP device in my house

Yeah, yeah, don't laugh, I know many of you would say that super troopers is not worth buying, much less backing up, but I watch it a lot

·
Registered
449 Posts
sivartk-

That's great. Very cool. Is that a Ritek printable disc I see that you used .. or a BeAll? ;)

So, how is the software included? Sounds like you had no problem using it immediately!

As a novice, I'll ask .. Is there any way to "save" your created labels for subsequent printing to additional backups?

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
The disc was a Optodisc (DVD+R). I got 50 of them for $44 shipped. It recorded just fine.

The software has basic editing functions, I will probably use photoshop, save as a JPG and then import into the program just for printing.

Yes, you can save your "project" so that it can quickly be recalled (modified if necessary) and reprinted.

Worked great and I actually printed a DVD before anything else (other than the standard test page). Printed the cover great too...even on 10 cent photo paper from Fry's.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bigdog9586
I'm looking for some way of marking my DVD's since I bought a Panny e80. Magic Markers look like you know what. Epson has a printer but requires special disks. I have come accross a Casio CW50 and 75 label printer that prints right to the DVD. Won't work on inkjet DVD's so should work on most others. Anyone out there using one or have any feedback. It's kind of simple but still a few steps up from the sharpie.
TDK have a label printer called the LPCW-50. Its a thermal printer and so does not work with inkjet printable disks.

I have just taken delivery today of a Canon i865 which enables printing directly onto inkjet coated disks.

·
Registered
471 Posts
How about using a rubber stamp kit to make the labels? They only cost about $20-$30, can print on any CD/DVD and its case insert, and cost per disk is very low. Should look considerably better than a Sharpie.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Check out Tom Pabst's web page. They did a review on both Epsons.

Toms hardware guide -- CDR printers

I will wait until it goes mainstream.

If you have the cash, there are professional units, but I would say they start at $1000 USD easily. But they can be used with automatic duplicators.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RalphWonderLama
Check out Tom Pabst's web page. They did a review on both Epsons.
Those reviews are out of date and the printers listed (900,960) are both discontinued... the new disc printer is the Epson R300 and it smokes the 900/960 bigtime. Works like a dream. Also the R300 uses individual tanks for each color, not the uber tank for all.. much cheaper consumables.

·
Registered
86 Posts
How does the R300 smoke the 960? My 960 works flawlessly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.