Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some information!

Is there any way that I can eliminate the studder on the layer change. I just upgraded my audio card to start watching DVD through my HTPC and Star Wars-Attack of the Clones stopped for a good second and a half before it continued. Is it the DVD-ROM or is there a windows setting that I can change. I'm using the Power-DVD Pro EX software.

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
925 Posts
Perhaps you could increase the DVD-Rom cache size in Windows, that might help.

Can't say I have ever even once experienced a layer change on my DVD setup.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I've not seen a layer change pause since my first HTPC was up and running, been through lots of different DVD drives and other hardware changes and OS changes, still not seen it.

Something is wrong in your system.

- Rick

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Have you seen a movie before the sound card xchange? What type of DVD drive do you have, and what type of support (ie pio mode, dma 2, 3, 5) does it have?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Paul,

I have seen the layer change before the audio card change. I have a Hi-Val DRIDE1648 (16x DVD and 48x cdrom). I have a 2.4GHz P4 with 256mb of ram. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
i wish i could help,but i have to agree with rick....there has got to be a problem somewhere.i too have never seen a layer pause,and this is my third machine..

brickie

i assume the rest of the movie plays fine,no pauses?

·
Registered
10,354 Posts
Hey,

Make sure (if you haven't already) that it's the layer change. You can look up the timestamp for many layer changes online.

If it is the layer change, make sure you have DMA for you DVD rom drive and you may need to try a different DVD rom drive.

No layer change pauses is a major reason I use a HTPC ( that and region freedom.)

-Brian

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Brian,

Thank you! Thank You! I never thought to check the IDE controller until you mentioned the DMA. That was the problem. I now have layer change free DVDs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.