Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Can someone please point me to a couple of DVD's with particularly noticeable layer changes. I've just re-purchased the RP82 and Denon 1600 to compare once again to the Denon 3800. I understand layer changes may be once very noticeable difference, among others of course.

Thanks,

rp

·
Registered
27,938 Posts
In Tomorrow Never Dies, the layer change occurs at the end of the Helicopter vs Motorcycle action scene. Pretty easy to find, but I don't have the disc handy to check the chapter number.

·
Registered
739 Posts
in Monsters inc, it's near the end right before mike shows sulley boos door that he fixed. Totally unnecessary LC 1 minute before the end of the movie!

·
Registered
367 Posts
In Black Hawk Down they are running across the square when the layer change occurs. One thing I has noticed with the RP-82 is the layer is very quick (one second or less) and very unobtrusive. It's one of the best I've seen.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies. I also saw what I believe was a layer change about 46:15 in to Lord of the Rings (Chapter 12 I think). Gandolf ? bows his head to the other wizard, pause, then a shot of a tower. I checked this last night with the 1600 and it was very noticeable. On the 3800 it just looked like a scene change. I didn't time it but I would guess about 1 second on the 1600 and about 1/5 that time on the 3800. I think I'm done with comparisons. The 3800 is a great performer. I sent it Denon today for the fix to the lockup problems. Maybe I'll look at the RP82 as a bedroom player.

Thanks,

rp

·
Registered
737 Posts
I like it when the layer change happens between scenes. You know, fades to black, THEN changes the layer. That way, the movie isn't interrupted. More and more studios should make the layer change happen between scenes. I don't mind the layer change, but sometimes, people will wonder, WHY did it skip? I used to use my computer as my DVD player and never experianced any layer changes. But, I'm just now getting used to them now that I have an Apex DVD player in the living room.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.