AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my current library of movies exceeded the capacity of my 500 dvd rack and overflowed into my 'custom' rack and began filling up that too I looked into getting more storage. I was trying to find ways to increase my storage space when I came across DVD ThinPaks on another forum. I decided they would help me solve my space problem as they are cases about 2/3 the size of a normal dvd case. Rather than expand my storage, I would shrink mu usage...theperfect plan. I bought a test pack at Walmart and fell so in love that I ordered a bunch off the site www.tapeandmedia.com and set to work on replacing all my "oversize" case. The results are shown in the next set of pics. The first will be my dvd rack in the before state..you can see my test subjects in the upper left slot. You can view full size photos in my sig link. Enjoy.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is the after photo.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is after moving all the movies back to one rack.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The stack on the left is the old case, and the stack on the right are the new cases....same number of movies.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is how they look on the shelf.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I threw the old ones away. Hate to put more stuff in the landfill but didn't know what to do with them.

Yes, it only works with the insert set, cardboard snappers need not apply. But you can go to www.dvdcoverart.com and pay a small fee and then you can download and print a formatted version of the cardboard cases that will fit in.

The original cover art is about 1/4 inch too big. So , I went to the local craft store and bought a small paper cutter, insert the cover(both sides at once) and trim off 1/8 inch..voila, fits like a charm.

They also have a 2 disc one which is about 5/6 the size of a regular single disc case. I also bought some four disc sets to put things like Indy triolgy into and Toy Box and big disc sets like that. A little modification of the cover is always need, but the extra space more than makes up for it.

·
Registered
29,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jeffxjet
The original cover art is about 1/4 inch too big. So , I went to the local craft store and bought a small paper cutter, insert the cover(both sides at once) and trim off 1/8 inch..voila, fits like a charm.
But you'd lose important parts of the front and back covers if you do that, wouldn't you?

Replacing all my DVD cases with ThinPaks is something I've contemplated as well, but I can't think of a good way to make the cover art fit without mutilating it.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, it's just border color. If you trim it right to where the words start it works out just fine. It actually comes out very well.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
This might be a good solution. But I do oh so like the keep cases..... But I also don't have a ton of room...

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just eliminate the overscan. :)

·
Registered
29,403 Posts
Quote:
No, it's just border color. If you trim it right to where the words start it works out just fine. It actually comes out very well.
Well, grabbing the first DVD off my shelf, Adaptation, and looking at the cover art, if I were to trim anything off the right side of the front cover I'd cut into the text of the screenplay credit printed at the bottom. I'd also be cutting into a lot of text on the back cover.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, some of the dvds are printed right to the edge. Most are ok though.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I'll be honest, I like genuine Amaray cases with the button with an S in the middle - infact, I bought a load of empty amaray's in various colours to replace the non amaray's in my collection! I even went as far as replacing all my warner titles which were in cardboard snappers with australian versions that are in amaray cases (usually clear with 2 sided art)!

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Bravo for spelling "voila" correctly and not incurring the wrath of stringed-instrument players everywhere. This is likely the most misspelled word on the Internet. :D

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cybersoga
I'll be honest, I like genuine Amaray cases with the button with an S in the middle - infact, I bought a load of empty amaray's in various colours to replace the non amaray's in my collection! I even went as far as replacing all my warner titles which were in cardboard snappers with australian versions that are in amaray cases (usually clear with 2 sided art)!
They're definitely the best. The spoked/sprocketed ones can have their teeth break off (and the DVD then falls off in the case), and others (esp. the horrible triangle-center ones that are the top holder in some 2-pack DVDs), can crack the center ring of the DVD as you push the DVD in or out -- as also happened with the hard-plastic holder to the bonus features DVD of our brand-new SINGIN' IN THE RAIN. Fortunately the crack is small and doesn't affect the play. Grrrrrr!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.