AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have almost 300 DVD titles in my collection. Currently I'm using IMDB.com to keep track of my collection. I would like to hear from other on how they are managing their DVD library collection.

For more info on IMDB.com:
http://www.imdb.com -Cool Website for keeping a list of your collection.

-Ura

· Registered
711 Posts
There are many threads on this subject. Do a search and you will find a lot of information.

Many around here, myself included, use DVD Profiler . It works great, and it is free.

· Registered
582 Posts
I was gonna blow by this thread.. but couldn't...

DVD Profiler is bar far the best software I have ever put on my PC!!

So with that being said I just wanted to champion what was said above...he's bang on it doesn't get any better!

Have fun!

Cheers,

Requis

....now where did I put all those DVD's must get them into profiler..must find bar code reader....Did I say it supported a bar code reader...yup...and WOW...no fuss no muss...or was that a quicker picker upper add.

· Registered
2,457 Posts
DVDprofiler....hands down.

I made a custom report page to fit my large collection. It fits 18 DVDs to a page by purchase date, so that I only have to print out a new page after I get 18 new DVDs. Each entry has a picture of the DVD, whether it is anamorphic, aspect ratio, DTS or DD, cast, director, etc. Now I just need to go back and add a Superbit logo to the report.

I made a cover sheet with our "Home Cinema name" on top. This and the ever growing list is in a binder and we use this to help pick out our movie of the night. When friends come over we just hand them the binder and let them browse through it. :)

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/dvdpro/re...ws/full/96.jpg

BTW...these titles are not from my list. :p

· Registered
1,596 Posts
I use DVDProfiler and have for years. What is best is determined by your set-up. Actually DVDLobby is a better program. Check over on the HTPC forum for other options as well.

Way, way, way cool tip: If you can get your PC to feed your display device, one button on the remote opens DVDP, one button pages up, one pages down, one up a movie at a time and one down a movie at a time and one closes DVDP. Everything is automatically alphabitized. Handing people the remote and letting them browse one movie at a time on the big screen is very impressive. No binder, no pages, no squinting. I prefer the skin - DVD Express for this purpose.

Reason #19 why an HTPC is awesome.

· Registered
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rbmcgee
Way, way, way cool tip: If you can get your PC to feed your display device, one button on the remote opens DVDP, one button pages up, one pages down, one up a movie at a time and one down a movie at a time and one closes DVDP. Everything is automatically alphabitized. Handing people the remote and letting them browse one movie at a time on the big screen is very impressive. No binder, no pages, no squinting. I prefer the skin - DVD Express for this purpose.

Reason #19 why an HTPC is awesome.
Oooh! I've been planning on doing an HTPC for a while, but I hadn't thought of that!

As to bar code readers, I got the free Radio Shack CueCat a while ago, which works great. Don't use it for new purchases, but it was useful when I first entered my collection. Unfortunately, I think RS stopped giving these away some time ago. Probably about the time the software appeared to decrypt their output, making them actually useful.:p

· Registered
1,363 Posts
I'm not trying to be a smartass here, honest.

After reading theis thread I downloaded DVD Profiler and had a good look at it. I just don't understand why someone would use a piece of software like this.

My DVD collection is stored in Ikea shelves and looks very nice. It's stored alphabetically in two sections. previously watched and unwatched. Vistors really enjoy browsing the cases.

I just don't know what i'd do with something like DVd Profiler. But many seem to like it so i'm obviously missing something.

Can anyone help.

Cheers

Rob

· Registered
17,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Holloway
I'm not trying to be a smartass here, honest.

After reading theis thread I downloaded DVD Profiler and had a good look at it. I just don't understand why someone would use a piece of software like this.

My DVD collection is stored in Ikea shelves and looks very nice. It's stored alphabetically in two sections. previously watched and unwatched. Vistors really enjoy browsing the cases.

I just don't know what i'd do with something like DVd Profiler. But many seem to like it so i'm obviously missing something.

Can anyone help.

Cheers

Rob
1) It's great to research titles before buying (features and such).

2) You can set up wishlists that automatically update as you buy new titles, so family memebers can have an idea of what a good DVD gift might be (you can prioritize by how much you want it). You list can be posted online so theyu can check it without letting you know they're looking.

3) If you have a large collection where you sometimes forget which versions of movies you have, it helps to be able to check without poking through your collection (especially if you have them, stored in multiple places).

4) You get a bar code listing, so you can verify the one you are buying is the exact one you want.

Lot's of other reasons, including bragging rights.

· Registered
711 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NetworkTV

2) You can set up wishlists that automatically update as you buy new titles, so family memebers can have an idea of what a good DVD gift might be (you can prioritize by how much you want it). You list can be posted online so theyu can check it without letting you know they're looking.

3) If you have a large collection where you sometimes forget which versions of movies you have, it helps to be able to check without poking through your collection (especially if you have them, stored in multiple places).

4) You get a bar code listing, so you can verify the one you are buying is the exact one you want.

What he said! :D

As Rob said, it is nice to just go to the shelf and look for what you might want to watch. A printed copy of your collection from a program like DVDProfiler is just another option to do the same thing with a different medium - the printed page. You also can format the report output in any manner you want. This can makes it really easy to see what Jimmy Stewart movies you have, or what westerns (or other genre) you have. If you are in the mood for a Jimmy Stewart western, you could find it a lot quicker with a program like DVDProfiler that simply looking at the shelf - especially as your collection gets into the 100's of disks.

Just another way of getting to the info.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Holloway
I use a large set of shelves myself

They don't go anywhere so I don't need to track them :)

Rob
Rob-

If I only have 5 DVD movies, then I don't need DVD Profiler. I can easily remember what I have in my collection. But my DVD library is growing, I have almost 300 movies. So trying to remember 300 titles of DVD is kinda hard for my little brain. (I can hardly remember my wife's DOB). Just the other day I was trying to remember whether I have "Bravehart" or not and for the life of I can't remember. Needless to say...I was able login to the internet and confirmed that I have that movie in my collection already. Thanks to IMDB.com

· Registered
897 Posts
Hi Rob,

I'm sure you'll hear the same story from many. I use DVD Profiler because I can't remember all the titles. If you'd ever been robbed, you'd realise how important it is to keep a home inventory. Just try and list your collection by memory when you're trying to fill out the claim form. Ouch!

· Registered
1,022 Posts
Another cool (albiet geeky) thing about DVDProfiler is the ability to give the link for your collection to guests who might be coming over to watch movies. It's an easy way for them to find something they might like before they come over. It also has decent export abilities to keep track of your spending (or more importantly, your deals!) or to upload your list into your PDA if you are so inclined. Just another way to enjoy your hobby I guess!:)

· Registered
1,596 Posts
Does anybody here know how to store your DVDProfiler movie database on a sever and access/update the database from any of the connected PCs?

· Registered
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NetworkTV

One other great feature is you can use it to check out dvds from your collection when someone borrows them. My family and friends borrow a lot of dvds from me and it's nice for me to know where they are.

· Registered
10,442 Posts
To me, the best feature is being able to enter the bar code number and all the info is there. I was keeping an Excel database manually (cheap I guess) until I saw this program mentioned in this forum. It is so good I didn't bother looking for any others.

· Registered
1,363 Posts
I have close to 1000 DVd's

Over the last 20 years i have build up a data base of every film i've seen

Most recently on Access

I have a 1 character field for DVD

D = owned

O = On Order

W = Wishlist

Maybe that's why DVD profiler seems redundant

I dunno

it seems very cumbersome to simply create an inventory of a something i have

Rob

· Registered
17,843 Posts
Yeah, but DVD profiler does all that - and it's sooooooo easy. Ten digits and that new purchase is in the database. To find a "must have" for the wishlist doesn't even require you to type in the whole title. Just like TiVo, every letter you type updates the search list, narrowing it down. The best part is: it's free, free, free! The printable reports are fantastic and endlessly customizable, too. Just click on my profiler link below (I'm sure you've seen othe collections). All that info is automatic. Right now, you see my owned list from most recent purchase to earliest. Other people go alphabetically or by other criteria. The wishlist groups titles by how much you want them. Access can't do all that without a LOT of effort. Believe me - I used to log books and magazines that way.

Oh yeah, another point to add to my other post above: You get kick-butt actor and actress listings - almost as good as IMDB. If it included the full crew credits it would be perfect. Anyone know if the pay version does this?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.