AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
The code was gibberish; but if one posts enough gibberish, something intelligible will show up... The book had a followup, where the tech checked inside the transmitter cabinet to find the brand of tubes that lasted so long... a very techie thing to do...

I read the book first, by Nevil Shute. The movie was a quite faithful adaptation. The TV remake was not nearly as good.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Boy, if your post isn't a major big time spoiler I don't know what is. Maybe you could write the word SPOILER at the start of that post as some folks may still wish to see that movie.

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oscar If you ever seen Journey to the Center of the Earth, a duck named gertrude was tapping out a message and Professor Lindenbrook laughed when he seen who whe was trying to communicate with.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I saw it as a kid many times, so was not surprised, but I'm sure there's no way I had a clue when I recently bought the DVD.

As for the spoiler issue, yes it is, but there is so much more to this movie than the issue of who is tapping out the morse code. The movie itself is a study in how what's taking place is impacting people and their dreams and relationships. Living, as I did, at a time when many people were almost anticipating that a nuclear war would occur, the movie puts a spin on the human side of the consequences of such catastrophy. If you remember how it was when Y2K occured, with people buying generators and stocking up on water and other supplies, that would only be penny change to what was happening then. At that time, people were building personal bomb shelters and the like.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.