AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard a lot of good things on this forum about the 47WX53, which I got/bought for Christmas, and am generally extremely happy with it. However, I'm a little disappointed so far with the picture on DVDs, although for the most part only in its ability to display shades of black/dark colors during night scenes. I don't know whether it's my DVD player (Yamaha DV-C6660 (YHT-740 HTIB)), which I've also not read any complaints about on here, or if perhaps I need to tweak my settings or what.

I've run the THX Optimode (as much as I could w/o the glasses) and have mostly been using the Cinema mode, although I've tried the others as well. I've played with the contrast and brightness settings quite a bit, as well as the picture settings on my DVD player, but still have had the same issue. It looks great for well-lit scenes on DVD and I don't have this problem with my HD STB nor with my DirecTV/TiVo receiver. I have it hooked up with component cables and have had the progressive scan both on and off (on for movies, off for 4:3 TV show DVDs so I can use the "JUST" stretch mode).

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm planning on hooking up my other DVD player to see if there's any difference.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I have last years version of your set. I use Cinema mode as you do because it is better when watching movies. If you haven't already, adjust your brightness and contrast using Video Essentials or Avia. Both discs have the pluge pattern which is used to properly set black level. I couldn't tell from your post if you meant that blacks were not deep enough, lack of detail in dark or scenes or dark scenes are too dark. If your dark scenes are too dark raise your brightness. My settings for brightness and contrast are 31. The limit is 63 so the half-way point is a good starting point. I also use a backlight behind the set.

I noticed on my set that when I used the progressive scan mode on the dvd player the blacks were not as deep as they are when I used the interlaced mode and allowed the tv to do the progressive scan. I used two scenes from the Matrix Reloaded to test the difference in black level for interlaced and progressive. I have a JVC vx-s502 player. The scenes I used from Matrix Reloaded come from chpt. 3. The first one is where Morpheus and Link are in the ship and are getting ready to land. The second scene is where Neo walks into the Oricle's apartment. When using the progressive mode on the dvd player both scenes had a slight hint of grey in the blacks and good detail in the dark areas. When I switched to interlaced the scenes had very inky blacks without any hint of grey and the detail was still there. The blacks were as black as the bars that cover the top and bottom of the movie. Before, the blacks were not that dark. The color fidelity was also better when I let the television do the work. So you may want to watch movies using the interlaced setting. You can also use scenes from the Bourne Identity at the end of the movie (the fight on the boat and in the apartment, also the beginning of the movie).

I also watched Underworld this weekend for the first time and all I can say is that this movie is the *test* to determine how all display types handle black level and detail. When I watched it was just a sea of inky blacks and the detail was still there. No dark grey blacks or light gray blacks, just flat out black. There is a scene in that movie where the whole screen goes black you see nothing until they walk into a room. Once you have adjusted your settings try this movie out.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi:

I have the 47wx53 as well. I just did a calibration with DVE and found that mine is incapable of seeing 3 different types of black in one of the tests. The DVD said this was normal on some sets so i adjusted accordingly. My brightness is set to 28 and my contrast (picture) is set to 18. I noticed a lot more differentiation in blacks after using DVE.

I would say you may hava an issue with the dvd player if you aren't getting the right response when watching a movie. I also used Underworld as a test both before and after using DVE and the detail in black is better now - it's not flat like it was. My next purchase will be an ideal-lume bulb for behind the set to see if that helps any with contrast in my eyes.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Arcanum
Hi:

I have the 47wx53 as well. I just did a calibration with DVE and found that mine is incapable of seeing 3 different types of black in one of the tests. The DVD said this was normal on some sets so i adjusted accordingly. My brightness is set to 28 and my contrast (picture) is set to 18. I noticed a lot more differentiation in blacks after using DVE.

I would say you may hava an issue with the dvd player if you aren't getting the right response when watching a movie. I also used Underworld as a test both before and after using DVE and the detail in black is better now - it's not flat like it was. My next purchase will be an ideal-lume bulb for behind the set to see if that helps any with contrast in my eyes.

Thanks,

Jeff
I'll check out those settings, thanks. I had a similar issue with the shades of black test on the THX optimode. I was able to see those different shades after I switched off the progressive scan on my DVD player, which I tried after noticing the difference on my other HT system when cycling through my TV inputs since I have the DVD player connected with S-Video through my receiver as well as component video (prog scan) directly to the TV. I didn't really do a before and after test with a movie, but I probably should. And I'll move my other DVD player tonight to test that also. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by AFH
I have last years version of your set. I use Cinema mode as you do because it is better when watching movies. If you haven't already, adjust your brightness and contrast using Video Essentials or Avia. Both discs have the pluge pattern which is used to properly set black level. I couldn't tell from your post if you meant that blacks were not deep enough, lack of detail in dark or scenes or dark scenes are too dark. If your dark scenes are too dark raise your brightness. My settings for brightness and contrast are 31. The limit is 63 so the half-way point is a good starting point. I also use a backlight behind the set.
I guess how I'd describe it is that it's hard to distinguish people/objects in dark scenes because it seems that all of the dark colors are too close to each other. So yeah, lack of detail in dark scenes. Are the VE and Avia discs better than THX optimode? I'd like to try one of those and sounds like Underworld is a good bet too. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Jeff,

I do not know about THX optimize but Avia or DVE seems to work well for people who use it.

Here are some pics from Matrix Reloaded. Interlaced and progressive.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
The first three pics are from the interlaced mode. The last three are progressive.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
There is actually more detail around Morpheus but the camera doesn't show you that in this picture.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
In this pic you can see how it looks in progressive mode. The scene is brighter but it is also washed-out.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
This pic is also progressive. Neo's face is a little pasty here. The hints of grey are harder to see in this picture but it is very noticable when watching.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Once again the scene is a little washed-out.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the suggestions and the screen shots. I hooked up my other DVD player (Sony DVP-NS700P) and the problem went away, even though my brightness and contrast settings were pretty far out of typical range probably (18 and 62). Setting them each back to about 31 looked even better. Anyway, I'm glad to know it's not an inherent problem with the TV, being the more expensive component, but I hope I can tweak the Yamaha DVD player settings to get it looking better.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well for anyone's future reference, it was definitely the DVD player settings. There's a choice of 5 "Smart Color" settings on the Yamaha DVD player. I don't know exactly what the purpose of these is, since it doesn't even explain it in the manual. But I toggled through them during the brightness test on the THX Optimode and suddenly I was able to see all 10 shades of black instead of just 3, as well as the THX test logo with the drop shadow.

Only one out of the five settings (#4) let me see any more than 3, regardless of the TV's brightness setting, so I don't really know exactly why it would even have the other choices. There's another color setting elsewhere in the menu, the guide says it's based on your personal preference - soft, natural, etc. Anyway, problem solved.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, I'm thrilled with it now, as I was for the picture with my HD receiver since I first hooked that up. And before I figured out the "smart color" setting problem, I did switch the DVD output to interlaced, and it was a little bit worse with the darkness issue. I also like the "JUST" stretch mode for 4:3 stuff, I always thought that would make the sides looked really stretched, but I actually have a hard time seeing exactly what parts of the screen are stretched. Just wish I didn't have to restart my DVD player to switch it to interlaced mode when I want to use the JUST setting for TV shows I watch on DVD. Oh well, no biggie.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.