Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Randall Morton:
I didn't think the pictures taken by Les did the LT150 justice so I posted a few pictures using only a lowly progressive scan DVD player(Pioneer 38A). Where's the Chroma bug? These were taken on a blackout screen(92x54).
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...a=13244069&f=0
How big is 92x54 diagonal? what screen aspect ratio is this? How far from the screen to this LT150 to project that size since it does not have a ZOOM feature?

What kind of screen are you using with this projector. Are these pictures achieved just by connecting component out from your progressive scan player?

Sorry if I ask too much but need to decide which projector to buy. Those LT150 reviews from Les, Grant help alot and it seems to be a winner. The problem is that from the reviews, HTPC were used and I like to know the image quality thru just a progressive player (plug and play). Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nick,

I'm using component to VGA(progressive) cable(10 Meter) I bought from CinemaSource for about $95.

tvuong,

I haven't actually measured the diag but I think it is close to 10 feet. The aspect ratio of the screen is 16:9 but I drape it off for the 2.35:1 image. No the LT150 has no zoom

but only weighs 3 lbs. I have the projector sitting on a coffee table and move it in or out to fit the screen, it is very easy. And yes again the feed is component out-to progressive scan in from a Pioneer 38A player. My screen is a homemade from blackout purchased at a fabric store for about $5 a yard.

·
Banned
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I added four more pictures using DayLite HiPower screen. I don't think the pictures show how different these screens are as the camera compensates. I agree with Grant that the HighPower is the better screen. The colors are more vibrant and the picture is just brighter although there is some loss of contrast with the HP. I just got it and it has some damage from shipping and I have not masked it off yet so this may explain some of the lost contrast. I did have to adjust the brightness and contrast some using the HP, it was just too bright. The Hipower photos are nos. 7 to 10.

·
Registered
153 Posts

Quote:
How big is 92x54 diagonal? what screen aspect ratio is this?
Hehe... and you probably told your geometry teacher "I'm never going to use this stuff!"

The diagonal measurement is sqrt(92^2 + 54^2) ~= 106 inches.

The ratio is 92 / 54 ~= 1.70

Gabe

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
One thing I've noticed in all photos of XGA DLP projectors is the total lack of screen door. I've seen SVGA DLP but have never seen XGA. The screen door was noticable to me on SVGA at 8' wide and 16' back. Is it digital photography or larger fill factor that accounts for the smooth picture?

------------------

John
My HT Picts

[This message has been edited by Wireless (edited 06-14-2001).]

·
Banned
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So that's what she meant when she said the sum of the two sides squared is equal to the hypotenuse squared. I've never used the internal scaler on the LT150 and have no reason to. The picture service I'm using also only allows 10 pictures on the free trial basis.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Hey Randy - great demonstration of just how good the Da-lite Hipower screen really is! I am going to be taking some pictures soon with my new digital camera (once I figure out what I am doing) and hopefully I'll be able to post some good ones.

I think the clarity and punch are evident in your HP pics. Compare these to those taken with the grayscreen. For me there are huge differences - differences I have seen and that's why I have reservations.

Just like projectors, don't buy a screen without seeing first. If someone puts a good screen against a mediocre one - well guess which one looks better. Try the best of one type of screen against the best of another type - now that's the test! Now you have something to compare - one on one.

I guess being an iconoclast is my fate! A presentation projector that can compete with HT projectors and a high gain screen that competes with you know what, and all for a lot less money? I must be nuts!!

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
846 Posts
Oh, btw...

It was very nice to see the LT150z at the infocomm show. An LT150 with a zoom lens! Woo hoo!

If it weren't for the fact I already had a projector (LP350) and I'm leaning towards the LCOS Hitachi that I saw as my next upgrade, I would have to seriously consider it.

As an aside, I'd still take the LT150z over the PLV-60. The PLV-60 in the Sanyo booth had the same screen door issues I witnessed with the XP21N. I find them too distracting and lucky for me I don't see rainbow.

--Les

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Randall, after rereading my post I don't think my question was clear.

In your pictures there is no evidence of screen door. Is that a result of digital photography or the larger fill factor of XGA DLP?

------------------

John
My HT Picts

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have an InFocus LP350 and a 100" 16:9 screen and I can't see the pixels unless I am closer than 4 feet away. The pixels become more noticeable if you have diagonal lines present, but they are not obvious. I have some comparisons shots against my 7-in CRT and an SVGA Davis. You can also see how much brighter the InFocus is versus CRT. Picture quality is not quite as good as CRT, but very close.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...a=11947173&f=0

Al

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.