AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used Powerstrip to create a 720P resolution and used Theatertek to playback a DVD and the DVD playback took up about the top left 2/3 of the screen, with the desktop showing in the rest.

So, can I scale Theaterk DVD playback to 720P and fill the whole screen? I can't see any way to do so but I have read other threads where people refer to playing DVDs at 720p and liking it a lot.

Do I even want to do this? My HDTV takes 720P input, but I think it upconverts it to 1080i anyway so would I even see any improvement over playing the DVD at 540P (which I have been doing and looks very good)?

If not Theatertek, any other player?

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Bob,

I'm not sure you'll gain much going this route if your HDTV downconverts 720p to 1080i signals... But I can attest that it is feasible (and works great on my digital front projector)

Try the following steps:

1. Once you have created a 720p resolution for your desktop, can you see all, or most, of the desktop on your HDTV without scrolling? (Overscan, assuming it is reasonable, can be compensated for in TT)?

2. If you can see you desktop more or less correctly (and hopefully, looking sharper than at 540p), launch TT and use the aspect ratio controls to adjust the picture size and position so that it matches your screen.

I'd venture to say that if it doesn't work with TT, no other DVD player will work, as the resizing is, at best, based on the same technology

Good luck

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Eiffel - I appreciate your response. I did indeed try to play with the aspect ratios and they don't appear to help.

It looks to me like TT is creating an overlay window of a fixed size, significantly smaller then the the 1280x720 desktop. Fiddling with the aspect ratio controls is changing the size and AR of the playback inside this overlay window, but not the size of the overlay itself.

Not a big deal, since the DVD pic looks very good when I'm running at 848X480 with 540p timings. I just wanted to see if it would look even better if I tried this.

My Sharp 55" TV is native 540p/1080i and forces me to upconvert a 480i or 480p signal to either 540p or 1080i. What is interesting is that I have a progressive scan DVD player and I cannot tell the difference in picture quality between 540p or 1080i when watching it. I'm told this is because the scaler in this TV is very good (same as the Pioneer elite).

At 720p I cannot get the TV to tell me what resolution it is running at and cannot change it so I have always assumed that it automatically upconverts a 720P to 1080i.

The Picture quality of the HTPC at 540P is maybe slightly better then the one from the progressive scan DVD player. This player always had a great pic on this TV also so any improvement might even be my imagination or due to the PQ controls in TT.

I just wanted to see if I could get it incrementally better with some other resolutions. I still will probably try a 480P timing that I can upconvert to 1080I on the TV, but I doubt that will be any better anyway.

I may also fiddle with some other 540p timings like 1440x540p.

One thing I find interesting is people saying that they run DVD at 720x540p vs. 848x480p. I run at 848x480p for the desktop and it is perfect with no overscan. When I run DVD at this res it also has no overscan. When I run DVD at 720x540p there is noticeable overscan (I run the same DVD and look at a paused scene and I can see edges are cropped vs. 848x480). So, it looks like TT is scaling up the overlay to 540P, but won't go to 720p? Wierd.

So, I'll keep fiddling, but I suspect that I will not get any improvement over 848x40 at 540p timings. So, with all the fancy software available like Powerstrip, etc, I suspect I'll still end up using one resolution for desktop and DVD and getting very good PQ.

Thanks for the suggestions and I'll report back to the board the results of any future experimentation.

Oh - and if anyone has an idea how to run DVD at 1280x720p and get a DVD player (TT or otherwise) to scale to the whole screen I'd be delighted to give it a try.

Thanks,

Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.