AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to get ffdshow set up on my HTPC per the posted walkthrough but my HTPC isn't cooperating. 8:13 has been very helpful but so far it's been a lost cause. I haven't given up entirely but so far it looks like a losing battle (it doesn't play well with BeyondTV, apparently).

Having seen what ffdshow can do for standard DVD playback on an HTPC, I'm wondering how it compares with the latest crop of upconverting DVD players, most notably the popular Oppo models. They have a couple of models with USB inputs for external flash drives to accommodate all sorts of digital media for playback through the Oppo. It looks like the latest model (BDP-83 standalone Blu-Ray player) will work with an external hard drive as long as it's been formatted with a FAT or FAT32 filesystem. If the player will recognize a DVD ripped to a folder on an external drive then it should also be able to process the files as if they were part of a DVD inserted in the player.

Hence the question, how does this player stack up to using ffdshow on an HTPC? I've been thinking about getting a standalone BD player to supplement my HT setup and this would be the perfect solution if the results were comparable to using ffdshow with a ripped DVD. I've got lots of ripped DVDs and it would make things much easier if I could simply transfer them to an extra hard drive for playback instead of tearing my hair out trying to set up ffdshow.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
the thing about ffdshow is you can tweak the upscaling to how you like, so if you like it sharp but grainy, or softened. there are tons of option and limited mainly by your cpu power.

if you want ffdshow to decode dvd (mpeg2) you need to get the utility to switch from the windows standard mpegs 2 decoder. maybe someone can post the link i cant seem to find it.

personally i think the standard mpeg2 decoder does a really good job.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand what you're saying about ffdshow. The thing is, I have been unable to get ffdshow set up and working on my HTPC so I'm looking for alternatives that will improve the quality of DVD playback comparable to what ffdshow can offer.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video /forum/post/16946196

I understand what you're saying about ffdshow. The thing is, I have been unable to get ffdshow set up and working on my HTPC so I'm looking for alternatives that will improve the quality of DVD playback comparable to what ffdshow can offer.

try powerdvd9... its true motion does a decent job at mimicking 120hz.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video /forum/post/16942554

Having seen what ffdshow can do for standard DVD playback on an HTPC, I'm wondering how it compares with the latest crop of upconverting DVD players, most notably the popular Oppo models.
Test disks for comparison.

The only way to know since nobody is posting to tell you what you asked is to buy the oppo and use one of the test disks on it and see how it compares to ffdshow.

I can tell you the ps3 isn't as good as ffdshow in case your wondering.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not a gamer so I wasn't even considering the PS3. As you are already aware, I've had issues getting ffdshow set up and working on my HTPC without causing problems with BeyondTV, which is a dealbreaker for me. I have a lot of ripped DVDs on an unRAID server and I'm looking for an alternative solution for playback with the improved picture quality that using ffdshow brings to the table.

Oppo is well known for providing quality at reasonable prices, which is why I'm considering the new BDP-83 standalone Blu-Ray player. The Oppo has USB inputs that allow the attachment of an external drive for playing all sorts of digital media, including vob files. Reviews of the BDP-83 indicates that it's by far the best bang for the buck when it comes to BD and DVD playback and rivals, if not surpasses, the quality of even the best players currently available. I am interested in knowing if the playback quality of the Oppo is similar to an HTPC using ffdshow for standard DVDs.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
________ Beyondtv dvd playback ________

- Rip your movie to pc.

Once done you will mux them into a single .ts file using tsmuxer.

- Open tsmuxer and from the add button go to where you ripped the movie and add all the files in numerical order from 1 onward.

Save the ts file to the shared folder in your windows pc.

c:\\shared documents\\snapstream\\beyondtv\\shows

- In the beyondtv settings tab, choose the snapstream mpeg2 video codec and audio codec.

Don't choose 3d accelerated video renderer.

- In ffdshow codecs tab I uncheck dvd decoding in the mpeg2 tab.

In ffdshow output tab choose yv12 and uncheck:

rgb32

high quality yv12 to rgb conversion

- The beyondtv version I tried is version 4.9.2 (build 6323).

It won't play .vob from the shows folder, or .mpg videos, or wmv videos.

It will play .ts videos and .mp2 videos.

So for this reason I use tsmuxer to join all the vobs together into one file and make a single ts file that beyondtv can play.

- If I don't set ffdshow output tab to use only yv12 and I use the 3d accelerated renderer in beyondtv the video stutters.

And it's too dark.

I added this to the written instructions in the ffdshow walkthrough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts