AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using my 1.83 C2d 1gb mini with my new pt-ae2000u projector. It recognized 1080p 24 immediately. However, it seems to be dropping frames occassionally. Maybe 1x every 5 minutes audio and video 'hiccup'

Is this because I am streaming over my network (unraid)? It was too late to test from local hard disk last night, so I thought I'd get responses here throughout the day.

If it is the mini, is it the lack of video memory, or would a 2.0 do it?

·
Registered
133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtdougie /forum/post/12893282

I am using my 1.83 C2d 1gb mini with my new pt-ae2000u projector. It recognized 1080p 24 immediately. However, it seems to be dropping frames occassionally. Maybe 1x every 5 minutes audio and video 'hiccup'

Is this because I am streaming over my network (unraid)? It was too late to test from local hard disk last night, so I thought I'd get responses here throughout the day.

I assume it's hooked up via DVI-HDMI cable, right? Do you have another source you can test the projector with at 24Hz? Either a Blu-ray or HD DVD player?

I do have a pt-ax100u which seems to have such video hiccups (about 1 every 5 minutes) when connected to a 24 Hz source (HD DVD player). I've read in the pt-ax100u thread on this site about other people having the same problem (doesn't matter whether blue-ray or hd dvd player), so it seems to be a problem of 24Hz implementation in the panasonic projector.

I do have the same mini as you, hooked up to the projector, but I only had it briefly connected via DVI-HDMI and it would output at 1080/24 (downsampling to 720p/24 in the projector). But ever since hooking up the HD DVD player (via HDMI), the mini is on the VGA input at 60Hz.

If you can, check with another signal source at 24Hz. Definitely try with some movies on the internal harddrive to exlcude network problems. Also, if it were network problem, you'd expect it to show at 60Hz.

My gut feeling is (and I'm sorry to say this), that panasonic doesn't know how to implement 24Hz. But maybe it's just a coincidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtdougie /forum/post/12893282

If it is the mini, is it the lack of video memory, or would a 2.0 do it?

Well, what are you playing? Regular DVDs? If so, the 1.83 will do it easily. If it's ripped Blu or HD-DVD no mini will be able to do it properly in OS X (there's discussion threads about this here).

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response.

Yes DVI-HDMI

I just picked up an open box bluray player and will try it tonight. I am using regular DVDs ripped. I am going to be very disappointed if it is the projector!!

I also think I need a DVI Doctor or something because the mini does not recognize the display without rebooting, thoughts?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just an updated. It does in fact appear to be a problem with the mac mini. The stutter does not happen on my Bluray player or mini at 60hz.

·
Registered
133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtdougie /forum/post/12904575

Just an updated. It does in fact appear to be a problem with the mac mini. The stutter does not happen on my Bluray player or mini at 60hz.

Did you try to output at 24 Hz from the Blu-ray player? The way you phrase it, it sounds like it's a problem that only occurs at 24 Hz, but not at 60 Hz. If the mini's fine at 60 Hz, then the mini should be fine I'd say.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts