AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Sony VPH-1020Q1 Crt projector and I would like to connect my DVD player to it (samsung DVD HD841). The dvd player has out component and s-video connections. The Sony VPH-1020Q1 has RGB Connectors - R, G, B, Sync/Hd, Vd. I am interested in the best picture for a home theater (of course) without a heavy investment. Also if you know how i can convert the R, G, B, Sync/Hd, Vd to accept a blue ray hdmi. I have some viewing experience with the Epson movie mate 30s and i am wondering if the Sony is going to be inferior or superior. My present viewing screen is 92".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should also mention that the unit has an 8 pin, and a BNC connector for input.

The 8 pin connector was used for a video recorder and the BNC was used for a sony betamax video players. Can i get straight wires:component connections to bnc rgb? There are such cables but they are straight 3 to 3 omitting the sync/hv and dv.

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
While the 1020 has RGB connections on it, it will not support more than 320 X 240 resolution. That's a 1984 to 1986 projector, component signals as you know them today didn't exist back then, and I don't think you'll get a video card to output that low of a resolution at this point. Use composite video to connect to the 1020, enjoy it, play with it and eventually... upgrade! With the set being 23 years old now, expect maybe another year or two out of it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you curt palme

The purpose of this purchase was simply to learn something about crts, so that perhaps i am a more informed customer in the future. I only paid 30 dollars. I hope to upgrade but want to know what to look for. In Craiglist and in Ebay there is a sea of these projectors, but i resist the temptation until I learn a bit with the projector i know have.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Studying your website I see that you sell the HDfury hdmi to rgb converter for about $200. I also have a dvd blue ray player can i use this converter to get a higher resolution aka better picture with the Sony 1020Q1? Will such a device work on this 23 year projector? Are these Converter specific to manufacturers and model? If i upgrade in the future to a newer Sony model can i still use this converter?

Thanks

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7ensnakes /forum/post/16947812

Studying your website I see that you sell the HDfury hdmi to rgb converter for about $200. I also have a dvd blue ray player can i use this converter to get a higher resolution aka better picture with the Sony 1020Q1? Will such a device work on this 23 year projector? Are these Converter specific to manufacturers and model? If i upgrade in the future to a newer Sony model can i still use this converter?

Thanks

No, like curt said you can't really output resolutions that low. Stick to composite video on this projector (single yellow video RCA cable). I don't think it's even possible to output resolutions this low via HDMI, I believe 480i is the lowest supported HDMI resolution, and many things don't even support that anyway. You could use that on a CRT projector that accepted HD resolutions via RGB, yours doesn't, just play around with it using composite.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very well, I understand now. I am limited to composite, single rca to bnc. i will play around with this projector, and when i feel I know better I will start shopping for an hd crt projector that can accept the moome boxes or the hdfury, Where i could get higher resolutions, crisp clear colors, deep blacks and whites, high contrast ratio, and large projection screens. Maybe one day i will learn what stacking means.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
After trying to set up that relic you will likely want nothing to do with CRT. I am sure it has all analog/manual convergence and geometry controls. Not like the electronic remote control set up features of newer machines , but have fun anyhow.

Athanasios

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
Oh C'mon, don't knock it.
He'll more than get $30 worth of entertainment on it, get frustrated, throw it out the window, marvel that it survived the drop, and set it up again.. We've all been there, done that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have yet to see the sony projector, since i am waiting for its arrival by ups, when i saw locally a Marquee 8500 with remote, with a centerstage ds-2 scale rwith remote, precision wires, manuals and ceiling mounting. Just getting the projector from the car to the house was a task.

I noticed that curtparme's accessory programs are for the windows operating system, nothing for linux.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7ensnakes /forum/post/16988121

I have yet to see the sony projector, since i am waiting for its arrival by ups, when i saw locally a Marquee 8500 with remote, with a centerstage ds-2 scale rwith remote, precision wires, manuals and ceiling mounting. Just getting the projector from the car to the house was a task.

I noticed that curtparme's accessory programs are for the windows operating system, nothing for linux.

Awesome!!!! Another Marquee Guy!!! Welcome to the marquee Club.

If i were you id either get the HDFuryII or the Moome Internal VIM-HD from Curts site so you can get 1080p onto that bad boy!!!

the C2 is not really up to hd standard but will at least get you going for now.

So how much did you pay and where are you located?

Athanasios

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I paid 400 dollars for the entire package included. Moving this thing around is not that easy...LOL but i finally got it sitting on a table and projecting onto a screen. It needed and it still needs a lot of adjustments, but i have to figure out how to install it in the ceiling fore more permanence. I have a problem because the idea place has an ac vent next to it and it will be blowing right on the unit. I connected it to a dvd player using a s-video cable. The set up came with some heavy duty Precision video BNC to VGA cables, component cables.

Are you saying that either the HDfury or the Moome converters would replace the Centerstage cs-2 unit? or can i use the cs-2 with the hd fury or the moome conversion?

Btw I live in Fort Pierce, Florida

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Nice Score!!!!! I would leave it on the floor till you learn how to do all the mechanical and electronic adjustments. there is lots of info you need to read first. but first learn the basic set up then move on to the advanced stuff.

When first setting it up use the help button on the remote and follow the mechanical set up guide. then hook up a source and follow the source set up guide, they are both on screen guids and are great for a quick set up.

With either the moome or the HdFury you wont need the obsolete scaler you have there. but if i were you id get a nicer scaler if possible, like a Lumagen or a DVDO VP50.

in the forsale section there is a Lumagen for sale , offer them 500, its a great scaler and together with the moome or HD fury you'll have complete control of timings and custom resolutions.

You also live about 2 hours from VDC Display Systems, they still make the Marquee 8500 and 9500. Scott there is a great guy and if your ever in the area you should stop by and ask for tour. You might even learn something about set up.

Map to VDC

But go to Curtpalme's site and join his forum, lots of guys there who will offer their help.

Athanasios

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
nashou66

thank you for your response.

I do plan to go to vdc and take the tour. That would be great and i dont doubt that i will learn some unique things.

I have the Marquee to the point where i could actually watch something. However, I still have these problems. I am connected to a dvd player via the s-video. While i can converge the center of the screen, the red, blue and green hatches are aligned in some sections but not in others. the hatches are pin and skewed differently on each color hatch. I am trying to figure out how to get the same hatch across the three colors. Additionally the scan lines are very noticeable. I suspect that once convert, these scanlines will be less noticable. I also wondered about the BNC rgbhv cable to vga color code connection. The RGB is obvious but what of the yellow and white wires left. Which goes to the H for example. Does the yellow go to the H and the white to the V? Also while i subscribed to the magazine HOME THEATER, they rarely mention CRTs. I wonder if there is a publication or/and book you can recommend. To tell you the truth once i learn about this particular projector, I will seek out and purchase an Electrohome Marquee 9500LC ultra.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7ensnakes /forum/post/17008803

nashou66

thank you for your response.

I do plan to go to vdc and take the tour. That would be great and i dont doubt that i will learn some unique things.

I have the Marquee to the point where i could actually watch something. However, I still have these problems. I am connected to a dvd player via the s-video. While i can converge the center of the screen, the red, blue and green hatches are aligned in some sections but not in others. the hatches are pin and skewed differently on each color hatch. I am trying to figure out how to get the same hatch across the three colors. Additionally the scan lines are very noticeable. I suspect that once convert, these scanlines will be less noticable. I also wondered about the BNC rgbhv cable to vga color code connection. The RGB is obvious but what of the yellow and white wires left. Which goes to the H for example. Does the yellow go to the H and the white to the V? Also while i subscribed to the magazine HOME THEATER, they rarely mention CRTs. I wonder if there is a publication or/and book you can recommend. To tell you the truth once i learn about this particular projector, I will seek out and purchase an Electrohome Marquee 9500LC ultra.

Youi shoukld first off search and read as much as you can on the marquee from here and curt palms web site. download the user manuals. I also have links under my name in posts over on curts that have service manual links and schematics if your into that. Scrap the S-video and get a HDMI card, i have a first version moome for sale if you want and you can connect Blu ray to it and run 1080p. PM me if intrested. Follow the on screen help guide for mechanical and source set up, it will guide you and hold your hand for set up, pin skew, linearity etc, it will go through all the geometry controls.

so hit the help button after you first turn it on .

Athanasios

Athanasios

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Last night until 4am I fiddled with the projector and the scaler. Apparently the scaler is limited to S-video RGB, i cannot even use the component cables. But the scaler did get rid of the scanlines. Now I could see what all of the hype is about. I first saw Aeon Flux and then the Matrix. The screen was crystal clear and the the dark and the lights are astounding. The whole thing is so clear that i cannot see how blu-ray could improve on this, except maybe in more tight saturated colors. For the first time i was able to see keanu Reeves teeth clearly and what appears to be make-up. The bad thing was that once the projector is turned off. I loose all of my settings. So I have to figure out how to commit the settings to the projector's memory.

nashou66 I am not certain what you mean by PM you, But i would like to know the cost of the first generation moome coverter.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7ensnakes /forum/post/16988121

Right one guy moving these takes some thinking. I used a thick blanket slid the PJ out of the car seat, dragged it along with the blanket, then rolled it up the two steps to the family room, getting it up on the table was the hardest part.

Have fun

·
Registered
4,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7ensnakes /forum/post/17013784

Last night until 4am I fiddled with the projector and the scaler. Apparently the scaler is limited to S-video RGB, i cannot even use the component cables. But the scaler did get rid of the scanlines. Now I could see what all of the hype is about. I first saw Aeon Flux and then the Matrix. The screen was crystal clear and the the dark and the lights are astounding. The whole thing is so clear that i cannot see how blu-ray could improve on this, except maybe in more tight saturated colors. For the first time i was able to see keanu Reeves teeth clearly and what appears to be make-up. The bad thing was that once the projector is turned off. I loose all of my settings. So I have to figure out how to commit the settings to the projector's memory.

nashou66 I am not certain what you mean by PM you, But i would like to know the cost of the first generation moome coverter.

PM means Private Message.

Athanasios

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.