AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Sony KF-60XBR800 LCD RPTV that I really love but I had an older mid-level Sony DVD player (non-progressive) so I wanted to at least get a progressive player and the sales guy at Tweeter actually said, "Look, just get the basic Sony 715 model. If all you care about is a single disc player, no need for top audio and just want a solid video picture, this can't be beat."

But I suspect I'm seeing garbage here. I've seen that I can still get Panasonic RP56's for a song and really the only thing I care about is getting a great picture and discrete power on (and off) support (which is why I often lean Sony).

I'm now considering a Denon 1600 or Yamaha C920 but again, both sound like overkill. I only plan on watching actual DVD's on it (not all the other formats) and if I want quality audio, I will buy a better music device (I have a 300 CD player I'm more than happy with right now).

What really annoys me most about this player are the absolutely CRAPPY subtitles it generates. They add all sorts of artifacts, are extremely low resolution and look like they're made up of huge dots to the point where the top of the letter L has is made of of two large humps!

So, do I bother running around like a madman right now to get a new player to get a better picture or should I just make due with this player and wait for the next round?

I see all this talk about up-converting and that's great except I only have one DVI port and I suspect that will ultimately get used by a DirecTV HDTV Tivo unit (I suspect there will be no way to piggy-back DVI devices short of a VERY unwanted manual switch?) Frankly, I wouldn't mind a piggy-backed solution as when I'm watching DVD, I'm not watching HDTV so it really should be able to work that way. Why shouldn't both (or more) devices use the same input? TV used to work that way just fine, but I digress.

Should I get rid of this thing NOW or wait? I'm in the free return period at Tweeter so I'd like to move on this decision IMMEDIATELY.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I'll bet you paid some bucks for the Sony LCD TV (Grand Wega?). The upconverting DVD players should make a noticeable difference. You might want to consider waiting till the samsung comes out, but for $200 the Bravo would no doubt be a much better purchase than your entry level Sony player.

Whatever your situation, it would be a waste to have an expensive display device like your Sony running through an entry level source.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm left to wonder if there will be a device which will let me plug a DVI device into it and have it provide the necessary handshaking and then output that signal via component cables. I can't believe I'm going to end up having so many things fighting over a single DVI input.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, now looking at the following: Philips Q50, Denon 1600, Panasonic RP82 and another Philips model that escapes me at the moment.

Still wondering if I should make a change of hold tight for now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.