AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to spend around $2,000 for a DVD player. I am going to be getting a Faroudja NRS scaler though, so progressive scan isn't necessary.

Any recommendations on what I should get? Will a $2,000 DVD player outperform a $600 DVD player by that much?

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Sir

I would expect that most DVD players that costly would have component (YPrPb) output; that would give you optimum results. The NRS do a great job for those not willing to fidget around with an HTPC; my vote for most awesome DVD image still goes to the HTPC with Radeon card and having the output amplified my a Mike Parker mod or an Extron device.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I think there are some posts (maybe in the DVD or Video Processor forum) discussing various DVD players' interlaced output feeding an NRS. (someone was looking for the best interlaced output to go to an NRS)

·
Banned
111 Posts
Well, some people say the Faroudja DV1000 DVD player is still the best in the world. I agree, because I have one =)

Good luck on finding one though. They are *rare*. Look on spending $1,500 for it. Was made back in 1997. Has RGBS BNC out and is interlaced.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Given that (as indicated in another thread) your display device will be an RPTV, you might save some $$ and get most of the benefit of the NR by exploring these two possibilities:

- a player with the Cinematrix PSM-1 mod

- a PSI PD 1000 player

·
Banned
111 Posts
I believe the EAD is the exact same thing as the Faroudja DV1000.

Both companies traded technologies and sold the same piece of hardware, just a different name brand.

The Faroudja's DV1000 has an EAD CD player in it.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Wow, the high end department of the forum and not a word about SDI.

If you want the ultimate quality for your Faroudja, get a DVD player with SDI out and get a Faroudja that accepts SDI input.

SDI is for Serial Digital Interface. This is a broadcast digital component video connection that has become popular in high end HT scalers. The idea is since the video comes out if the MPEG decoder in digital form and an external scaler like the Faroudja is a digital processor, why convert the DVD signal to analog then back to digital?

This is the same analogy as feeding your CD player into your digital processor with analog connections. Why do that when you have a digital link. But in video the diffeence is far more dramatic.

Look at Immersive in the AVS approved sponser icons at the top of the forum. They offer a quite a few modified players. Note that a modofied player is the only way to get SDI out of a DVD player. No commercial unnit has it from the factory. Two reasons, very low demand and possible legal problems because it effectivily bypasses Macrovision and provides a pure digital signal of copyrighted product. But not to worry as long as it's just us HT nuts using it for great pictures.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sspears
Faroudja only has one video processor with SDI in and it sales for $75k. It is their broadcast upconverter.
OK, but there are other units that offer SDI at lower prices. The Vitac, Key Digital Leeza, TAW, if you are interested do some reaserch on the Video processors forum. Your questions about SDI and processors can be answered there.

If you are willing to spend $2K on a DVD player, I think it's worth your time to at least investigate SDI options.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by marqueedehome
If you like faroudja progressive picture. Then you have to spend less than 2000$. I would even consider to divide your spending by 3 to 4.

marqueedehome
That's a good point. The SAGE chip in the Panasonic RP56 is no slouch. It has some of Faroudja's algorithms built in. This is a $200 DVD player.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.