AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's the deal, in the next couple of months I'm going to get a CRT projector, but I was wondering if I need to get a new DVD player as well?

I have a nice (but a little older) Sony DVD player but its not have progressive scan on it. Should I get one right away or will my old one work pretty good still?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
If you are planning on using a scaler or HTPC, Your current player will be fine.

If not, do a search on Momitsu or Bravo dvd players. I use a Momitsu, and am quite pleased with it.

·
Registered
490 Posts
BK,

Your projector (and mine and the whole Sony 127x, 125x line) does not have a progressive component input board available.

You will either have to run

- SVideo (blah) (current DVD player)

- Svideo line doubled via vga/RGBHV (better) (current dvd player w/line doubler)

- HTPC (best, lots of work) (computer + software) (this scales the DVD up to some higher resolution)

- DVI-I DVD Player via DVI->VGA adapter & VGA/RGBHV ($200-$300 dvd player [Bravo D1, Momitsu V880] that has certain "problems") (this scales the DVD up to 720p or 1080i)

Remember that DVDs are 480i natively.

Also, RGBHV is the 5 BNC input on the back of the projector (not sure if you knew, so I figured I'd throw that in there).

Does that clear it up a little?

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Yes DVD's are technically a native 480i, but most film transferred DVD's are 'really' 480P or 576P for PAL.

The image is stored on the disc as the odd and even lines *of the same frame* at 24fps so it really is a progressive image in there, just waiting to be released.

This is different to video sourced material, that has (effectively) the odd and even lines of two different frames, so there is not a full 480P resolution image to reconstruct.

some films are taken from an already interlaced master which is a crime and should be punished with immediate castration.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
And oh yeah, I would just buy a momitsu, less hassle, and just works no that they have released the new update for it. It has RGBHV to plug straight in, and even the wife can just drop a disc in, hit play and enjoy 720P goodness

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.