AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I am getting rather desperate and frustrated. It seems that all of the good, inexpensive DVD players are no longer available! I am looking for a progressive scan DVD player (not a discontinued model) without the chroma bug and with the Farouda chipset for less than $200. It seems that this should be possible. So far, I can only find:

Sharp DV-S25U

but determine whether it suffers from the chroma bug or not. Any suggestions out there???

Thanks

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Sharp DV-S2u or DV-S25u has DCDi and $99 at HHgregg's (CC type store)

New Mitsubishi 6040-8040 has DCDi also with the more expensive models having DVD-Audio.

Both of these do not have chroma.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Huey
Sharp DV-S2u or DV-S25u has DCDi and $99 at HHgregg's (CC type store)

Both of these do not have chroma.
How did you determine that the DV-S25u doesn't have chroma? I looked everywhere for that info! Also, what is HHgregg's? Thanks

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
HHgregg is a chain store like Circuit City, Fry's, BB. It's common in the Cinti, OH and tristate area (Louisville, KY, Southern Indiana). I use Toy Story opening logo with red around the "Toy Story", and red light bulbs in Moulin Rouge. If it has it, it's not noticeable to me.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jpj6st
Okay, I am getting rather desperate and frustrated. It seems that all of the good, inexpensive DVD players are no longer available! I am looking for a progressive scan DVD player (not a discontinued model) without the chroma bug and with the Farouda chipset for less than $200. It seems that this should be possible.
The Panasonic RP62 fits the bill (as long as you get a early build) and is still fairly available at around $100.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was very excited to find an RP62 at Best Buy today. I couldn't believe when I saw it there for $90. It was a open-box display model, but it appears intact and to work as specified.

I think that it is unfortunate that the quality of a DVD players is actually going down over time (at least at the low end) :-(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.